Language (Polyglot) Goals for 2021๐ŸŽ‰

That is such a nice thread idea! I wish I could be productive enough, but final season is approaching!.. I still have some goals set for the next year though!

None of them are about reaching a particular level, rather than being able to do certain things.

• English :uk:- I aim to be able to write more complexly and use more advanced grammer structures. Aside from that, maybe improve my spelling and add some more words to my vocabulary.
  • Spanish :es:- get more comfortabe speaking, find a method that will help me learn verb conjucation better and finish reading some books I have in spanish!
  • Romanian :romania:- Iโ€™m not the kind of language learner who likes to learn multipul languages at the same time, but learning Romanian is such a big dream of mine. Even if itโ€™s not active study of grammer, I aim to hold a basic conversation: introduce myself, ask and answer simple questions like โ€œhow are you?โ€ and such.

Thatโ€™s all for now! Best wishes & good luck to everyone!
Thanks! Gracias! Multumesc! ืชื•ื“ื”!

4 Likes

ื ืขืžื”: ื‘ื•ืงืจ ื˜ื•ื‘. ื™ืฉ ืœื™ ื—ื•ืžืจ ืฉืชื•ื›ืœ ืœืœืžื•ื“ ืจื•ืžื ื™ืช ื‘ืงืœื•ืช. @Monet

Well, we do have a thread about languages of the Americas here

And you can also simply create a thread for the Nahuatl language in the โ€œNon-English Threadsโ€ section of the forum (I thought there was already a thread for it) as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @MultilingualBronxite โ€“ I will do that for now. Threads can be buried pretty easily though, which is why I was thinking a channel might allow multiple Nahuatl threads to form and coalesce more easily, but maybe thatโ€™s a bit lofty, as Iโ€™m not sure how many people are interested in learning Nahuatl over the next year.

I just feel like we have an opportunity here to hive everyone a better chance for success if we all shared our journey with each other.

Imagine a world where every year a bunch of polyglots learned an indigenous / minority language, at least to a basic level, and converged on a location speaking that language with the locals. But something like that would take some ongoing marketing and generation of excitement. :joy::thinking: Maybe Iโ€™ll start a new thread on it.

4 Likes

Yes @Alexander, they did that in the past with some introductory courses leading up to some of the other Polyglot events, I believe.

Definitely. But Iโ€™m sure a fair few of is would be interested in a slightly longer / deeper learning of the language. I mean, I am thinking of starting Nahuatl a little in the next month and start learning more throughout the whole year. Iโ€™m not saying what the PC has been doing doesnโ€™t count. Far from it. โ€œAndโ€ not โ€œorโ€.

I went ahead and posted on this to move the convo into its own thread: Nahuatl 2021

1 Like

Yes, I get your point, especially as there is a longer lead-in, allowing for deeper learning.

1 Like

Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™ll be able to meet all of these goals, but Iโ€™d like to:

• Improve Spanish to B2
  • Improve French and Italian to B1
  • Improve Mandarin/Korean and Japanese to C2
  • Get confident speaking in English
  • Start learning Hindi and reach A1
4 Likes

I would love to brush up on my Spanish and get it to at least B2 level. The other goal is to get the HSK4 certificate in the first months of 2021.

5 Likes

Thanks for such an encouraging and diverse thread!

Since I am still hopelessly devoted to Persian, my goal for the year ahead is to continue building confidence with being conversational and improve my comprehension.

While these arenโ€™t particularly measurable, for those who have seen my presentation, I have a number of smaller, measurable goals and ways to track my progress. These are still serving me very well, which is keeping me motivated, too!

9 Likes