Language (Polyglot) Goals for 2021🎉

Hello wonderful people!

My current goals:

Keep practising Spanish C1-C2, French B2-C1, German B1-2
Improve my Russian A2, Catalan A2 and Japanese (starting this week)

I teach on italki and I’m fluent in Chinese English and Italian, so if any native speaker (especially German, Catalan and Japanese) is interested in a language exchange instead of classes please get in touch :smiley:

5 Likes

My goals are definitely less than the really inspiring people in this group,

• B2 in Russian
  • A2 in Tsez
  • A1 in Avar

I plan to post my progress regularly in this network which is created to help people stay consistent and motivated in their goals. I also hope to inspire others to continue in their progress throughout 2021. Consider joining us and letting us cheer for you as you try to reach your goals!

4 Likes

You’ve all inspired me to create some goals. So here is what I’m thinking:

-Finish my Advanced Spanish Grammar book
-Attend French club more often
-Speak Italian well enough to host TV club & maybe read a short novel?
-Restart Lebanese Arabic
-Improve Mandarin to a point where I can speak with unfamiliar people and not get embarrassed and/or watch shows with mandarin subtitles (not English)
-Go to ASL get togethers locally if allowable with COVID
-Learn Swahili to about B1 level

and travel!!! And keep building Polyglot Station to be an awesome community with fun games for everyone :slight_smile:

ok, hopefully that’s it! haha I’ll probably end up starting a new language too :joy:

6 Likes

If you decide to start with Czech, you can contact me and I will show you some materials that you can find online :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, I’ll bite, too. Making such plans is such a guilty pleasure, the guilty part coming from knowing full well that the more elaborate they get, the less likely they are to be fulfilled, and adding lots of stuff on anyway. Here we go:

• Certs: DALF C1 for French, HSK5 (or whatever new equivalent is) for Mandarin, TEG B1 for Irish

• Reading fiction (audiobooks count) for upkeep: Russian, Persian, Hebrew, French, Italian

• Writing up a short “Lezgi for beginners” course

• Oldies: Finishing “Lingua Latina per se illustrata. Roma Aeterna” (that’s part 2 of this great textbook). Reading Caesar. Taking a look at TY Old Babylonian

• Tying up loose ends: getting at least some of my side projects to a solid A1 level: Adyghe, Bambara, Chechen, Dargin (no, I don’t have one for every letter of the alphabet)
 Xhosa, Yiddish, Zulu (wait, maybe I do?) (real goal is to get Chechen where my Lezgi is now, and to finish reading a couple textbooks I started)

• Local diversity (I’m in Israel, but not for ever): getting in touch with speakers of Adyghe, Amharic, Juhuri
 giving Palestinian Arabic another try, most importantly, making Hebrew default language of local interactions

But most importantly - continue having fun while making fun of myself :wink:

7 Likes

This is so cool. Adyghe is going to be insane!

Yes, it is quite something! I know some speakers here, but they’re Shapsugs (that’s the dialect spoken in Kfar Kama, which is one of the two Circassian villages in Israel) and most of my resources are for Kabardian, which is just about at the opposite end of Adyghe spectrum :slight_smile:

One of the things I’m using is an app called ‘OptiLingo’ https://www.optilingo.com/ which has Circassian apart from the usual selection of languages you can learn (the founder, himself a diaspora Circassian, has taught himself the language in his 30s)

Chechen is the language I am most serious with at the moment

2 Likes

You might have already seen this:

1 Like

Yes, Muslim from CHELS is my teacher :smiley:

1 Like

I love making plans and goals, and I’m never able to stick to them. So I designed a new sort of plan. It’s a plan for the next T E N years:

Chinese from A2 to C1 (it might take me 1000 hours)
Korean A1 to C1 (1000 hours)
Japanese A1 to B2 (1000 hours)
Russian A2 to C1 (600 hours)
Slovak A2 to C1 (600 hours)
Swedish A2 to C1 (300 hours)
Spanish A2 to B2 (200 hours)
Dutch A1 to B2 (300 hours)
Esperanto A1 to B2 (200 hours)
Turkish A1 to B2 (600 hours)
Hebrew under A1 to B2 (600 hours)
Arabic, Persian and Bengali without goals or hours.

If I estimated the hours correctly and if I work 2 hours every day, I might reach this goal :smiley:
So my short time plan is just sticking to the 2 hours daily (on average).
I don’t plan to take any tests, by C1 I just mean being able to talk about almost anything fluently, and being able to understand videos, newspapers, etc. They should be like my French and Italian.
But I might concentrate on improving my speaking skills in Slovak (I’ve made good progress during the last three weeks with a language exchange partner) and trying to do the same for Korean, Chinese and Swedish (that’s what I’ve been trying to do during this Conference, and I’ll go on, maybe just with selftalk, but language exchange partners are welcome, too, I can offer German and Hungarian).

15 Likes

Hallo Jen, ich weiß noch nicht genau, wie viel Zeit ich dafĂŒr habe, aber im Prinzip hĂ€tte ich gern eine Sprachpartnerin fĂŒr Chinesisch. Meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ich will auch B1 erreichen, aber gibt’s keine Kurse oder PrĂŒfungen mehr wegen der Pandemie, also habe ich Französisch lernen inzwischen angefangen :’(

I’m also not one to actually follow through with a specific “language plan” when I set a level as a goal, but still love setting those goals and plans
 :confused::thinking:

I think I am going to go about this a little differently

Before the closing ceremony, I would have simply said “strengthen my connection to the polyglot community and my communities for my languages”. In light of the ceremony, that is a much clearer and more attainable goal!

I’d like to be optimistic about Cholula next year and add in the goal of learning some Nahuatl and improving my (Mexican) Spanish before then to enrich the experience and connect with more people.

I’d love to combine these goals and connect with more of the Polyglot community over the next year while we explore Nahuatl! @polyglotconference is there a way to get these forums to support more Nahuatl community connection? Like add a Nahuatl 2021 category, or something like that? Just spit-balling here

10 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to meet all of these goals, but I’d like to:

• Improve Spanish to B2
  • Improve French and Portuguese to B1
  • Improve Dutch and Japanese to A2
  • Start learning Slovene and reach A1
3 Likes

Ich habe großen Respekt vor deinen Sprachzielen. Je suis toujours dispo pour pratiquer le chinois. J’ai une bonne connaissance de la grammaire, les tons, l’accent et l’écriture et bien que ce ne soit pas ma langue maternelle, je me sens trĂšs Ă  l’aise avec la langue.

Je vais essayer aussi d’écrire mes objectifs pour l’annĂ©e prochaine, mĂȘme si normalement je fais ce que je veux parce que que j’ai beaucoup de motivation de pratiquer les langues car je crĂ©e la nĂ©cessitĂ© de ces langues dans ma vie (Ă  travers du travail, de correspondance avec des amis, livres que je veux lire, candidatures pour rĂ©sidences d’art, etc)

Français, finir d’écrire mon dossier artistique complet en français, terminer un petit livre de poĂ©sie que je suis en train d’écrire en français ; lire un livre sur les rĂšgles d’écriture et grammaire, rĂ©ussir un examen C2, faire mes candidatures pour l’école ; correspondance avec des amis et famille.

English, translate a book of poetry from Chinese into English

Deutsch, jeden Tage eine Buchseite lesen, zehn Minuten lang die Nachrichten hören, jede Wochen ĂŒben mit Sprachpartner, Kafka lesen, nach deutschsprachige UniversitĂ€ten untersuchen. Deutsche Grammatik und Schreiben, sind fĂŒr mich sehr schwierig.

Español, cada día hacer una clase para mis hermanas, les escribo y corrijo historias, leer mås, escuchar mås podcasts, hablar con amigos, leer algo de gramåtica, continuar de tomar mis clases de baile en español

PortugĂȘs, leia mais, procurar um emprego como pintor de bodas em Portugal

䞭文 憙撌俼æ”č慳äșŽè‰șæœŻçš„æ–‡ç« ïŒŒć†™èŻ—ïŒŒèŻ»èŻ—ïŒŒć­Šäč ćŽ†ćČ

Italiano, praticare con gli amici, scrivere e correggere i messaggi per i miei cari amici, leggere e ascoltare notizie e conti

æ—„æœŹèȘžă€‚ă€‚ă‚ăŸă‚Šè©±ă—ăŸă›ă‚“ă€‚æŻŽæ—„æ—„æœŹèȘžć‹‰ćŒ·ă—ăŸă™ă€‚æ—„æœŹèȘžă§äŒšè©±ă‚’ć§‹ă‚ăŸă„ăšæ€ă„ăŸă™ă€‚

Maintenant Ă  cause de la confĂ©rence, j’ai beaucoup envie d’étudier d’autres langues que j’ai dĂ©jĂ  un peu Ă©tudiĂ©es ou que j’ai toujours voulu Ă©tudier telles que :
indonĂ©sien, nahuatl, russe, bulgare, grec moderne, corĂ©en, tibĂ©tain, hindi, arabe, mongol, napolitain, cantonais, finnois, norvĂ©gien, basque, vietnamien, krĂ©ol haĂŻtien, basque, hĂ©breu, breton, etc. Je voudrais commencer l’une de ces belles langues dans l’annĂ©e 2021 mais je n’ai pas toujours pris ma dĂ©cision.

6 Likes

Well, I have no super lofty goals at the moment except to get my Irish up to a B2 level and that may take more than a year, considering that I want to:

• get comfortable with more fluent conversation in the Connacht Irish dialect I’m learning
  • and get more up to speed understanding Ulster Irish and Munster Irish better
  • be able to read a novel straight through without looking anything up until after I’m finished
  • attend as many Zoom conversation circles and “pop-up Gaeltachts” as possible

In the meantime allow myself to listen to more Russian and Spanish podcasts to at least bring my comprehension levels back up to their previous B2 levels 35+ yrs ago.

That’s probably all this brain can handle at the moment. :wink:

5 Likes

ćƒ•ăŒæŻŽæ—„æ—„æœŹèȘžăźäŒšè©±ă‚’ă—ăŸă„ă€‚ăă‚Œă‹ă‚‰ă‚ąăƒ©ăƒ–èȘžăźæ›žćˆ†ăšèȘ­ăżæ–čă‚’ć‹‰ćŒ·ă—ăŸă™ă€‚

2 Likes

Puedo ayudarte con el español si así lo deseas! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! This community consist of the most enthusiastic people I’ve ever known! Your goals are so inspiring!
Well, this year I decided to focus on french alone, and hopefully by the end of 2021 move to a C2. I like the pace at which I’m Moving.

For Swahili, a move to C2 . Swahili happens to be the easiest language for me to learn because it’s very similar to my mother tongue (Bemba).

Spanish, just an A1. I want to begin learning this one next year.

ASL/or BSL, an A2. This also is another language I’m starting to learn in 2021.
All the best to all of you!!

7 Likes