Arabic room - let's chat

Hi Zeina How can i search your channel on youtube? Please

1 Like

@Carlo I honestly have no channel yet, but I will open up one to post the presentations there. I will let you know when that happens :smiley:

To everyone,

I am very excited to see/talk to everyone tomorrow! Please, don’t forget to prepare few Arabic sentences on the topic of food. Even if you think you can’t write, please, try to write a few words at least, and I will help you build up your sentence from there :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey @Zeina! I’m sorry, I won’t be able to join today, something came up :confused: Hope to talk to you another time.

1 Like

I missed the class, hope there will be another class :frowning:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for showing up today.

I think there was a unanimous agreement to proceed with our Arabic sessions twice a week.

So, I believe moving forward we will be meeting every Tuesday and Thursday at 10am EST in the Earth/Arabic room for Arabic discussions in MSA. (Please be mindful of the time changes. We have already set our clock back 1 hour)

We have chosen the topic of food for now. We will practice by preparing few sentences in Arabic before each session and share that with everyone. I think this was an excellent suggestion from you because it helped bring structure and focus to our sessions. It also helped expose Arabic learners to specific vocabulary and some grammar rules along the way. And best of all, we all were mostly talking in MSA - YAY!

I was also thinking to spend half of each session just talking about stuff, in order for everyone to get the chance to practice speaking. Let me know if you have further suggestions :smiley:

Fantastic job everyone and hope to see you next week!

Zeina

@Carlos1 I just remembered a better way of saying “to prepare food” in Arabic : أحضّر الطعام
Hope that helps

4 Likes

Thank you very much for hosting these meetings :slight_smile: I will definitely join you on the Thursdays and maybe I can make a few Tuesdays as well. It was great talking to you all and listening to you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Please, let me know if you will be attending this Thursday’s session at 10 am EST as well :smiley: @Rina @Alanood @RonP @Astari2 @Marzanna @Amirul @Carlo @Carlos1 @BrianLoo1 @Blanche

Also please be mindful that we set our clock back by one hour this week. Be sure the new time difference suits your schedules. If not, let me know :blush:

2 Likes

Please, let me know if you will be attending this Thursday’s session at 10 am EST as well :smiley:
@Dhinny @Louisiane @Alma @Domi @ArabicFan123 @Alberto @Danielle @Samira @NewbiePiano

Also please be mindful that we set our clock back by one hour this week. Be sure the new time difference suits your schedules. If not, let me know :blush:

Thank you for the invitation. I’m at work at that time so will miss it. You have fun!

1 Like

I know - I thought maybe this time something changed :frowning:

I will try to organize a meetup on a Saturday soon. Maybe that’s a better time I suppose. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

BTW are you available now in the next 30 minutes or so? I saw you replied 1 minute ago. If yes, I can meet you in the Arabic chat room in a bit.

Hi Zeina, yes I will be there on Thursday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know! Excited to talk to you on Thursday again!

1 Like

Hi Zeina, yes definitely coming and getting ready to talk about food!

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait!

Will be there for about 20-30 minutes or so.

1 Like

I will try to be there.

1 Like

Why not do this on Discord? The interface is so much better! You can get on Voice/Video any time and you can see who’s on all channels before you join. That way you know if you want to join the French channel or the German channel, for example. Each language has its own channel.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

If you all would still like to meet for Arabic chats in the future after November 8, you all can have them in the Venus Room and add the meeting times in a Venus Room Google Doc schedule spreadsheet that I will publish in a few days. Everyone can meet at 2 or 3 times a week on different times to practice.

3 Likes

@MultilingualBronxite just double checking if we already added the Arabic sessions to the schedule?

Thank you for all you do :slight_smile:

@Carlos1

On our topic today - of whether verses in the Qur’an and Bible are poetry - I found this:

What concerns the Qur’an: Although some people consider it closer to prose, Muslims believe it is simply neither prose nor poetry. It is not poetry because Arabic poetry - as discussed in our session - is based on particular rhythms and figurative/imaginative expressions, neither of which Muslims believe can be applied to the Quran. Is it also not a narrative. From what I have gathered so far, the Quran is considered an individual work of written art (because Muslims believe it is “munzal” or directly given by God himself to the people) which is not classified under any of the known “earthly” written types.

As for the Bible, it includes both prose and poetry. In case of poetry, we can find both, those that rhyme in meaning and those that rhyme in sound. But the poetry found in the Bible is different from the poems of the Pre-Islamic era or the ones that emerged later in history. We also have different types of narratives as known in literature. More on that in the link below.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes