Arabic room - let's chat

Thank you for letting me know! Excited to talk to you on Thursday again!

1 Like

Hi Zeina, yes definitely coming and getting ready to talk about food!

1 Like

Awesome! Can’t wait!

Will be there for about 20-30 minutes or so.

1 Like

I will try to be there.

1 Like

Why not do this on Discord? The interface is so much better! You can get on Voice/Video any time and you can see who’s on all channels before you join. That way you know if you want to join the French channel or the German channel, for example. Each language has its own channel.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

If you all would still like to meet for Arabic chats in the future after November 8, you all can have them in the Venus Room and add the meeting times in a Venus Room Google Doc schedule spreadsheet that I will publish in a few days. Everyone can meet at 2 or 3 times a week on different times to practice.

3 Likes

@MultilingualBronxite just double checking if we already added the Arabic sessions to the schedule?

Thank you for all you do :slight_smile:

@Carlos1

On our topic today - of whether verses in the Qur’an and Bible are poetry - I found this:

What concerns the Qur’an: Although some people consider it closer to prose, Muslims believe it is simply neither prose nor poetry. It is not poetry because Arabic poetry - as discussed in our session - is based on particular rhythms and figurative/imaginative expressions, neither of which Muslims believe can be applied to the Quran. Is it also not a narrative. From what I have gathered so far, the Quran is considered an individual work of written art (because Muslims believe it is “munzal” or directly given by God himself to the people) which is not classified under any of the known “earthly” written types.

As for the Bible, it includes both prose and poetry. In case of poetry, we can find both, those that rhyme in meaning and those that rhyme in sound. But the poetry found in the Bible is different from the poems of the Pre-Islamic era or the ones that emerged later in history. We also have different types of narratives as known in literature. More on that in the link below.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes
1 Like

We already did that for German and Arabic. :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Zeina-AR-DE-FR-EN, so sorry for not getting back to you. I’ve been much busier than expected recently. I will let you know if I can make a future meeting.

Hope you’re well!

2 Likes

Thank you @Blanche for getting back to me. Hope to see/talk to you soon. And - Yes I am well!

Take care!

2 Likes

Spot on. In fact, to be considered as a poetry (شِعْر), any Arabic sentence has to fit into one of 16 poetry metres or rhythmic patterns (بحور الشعر, lit. “seas of poetry”).

5 Likes

Yes, agreed on the patterns!

I did not want to go into the poetic details because I think it will complicate things for non-natives (although these, to me, are simply fascinating and I would love to be able to share that with others).

But if you have any resources that we can use to look into the 16 poetry patterns, I believe it would be insanely interesting to discuss in our next session. I will try to find some resources myself later today.

Thank you @Amirul for your input!

3 Likes

@Astari2

Hi lady!

I wanted to clarify an expression I pointed out today in our chat earlier. So, in Arabic, we have a kind way of answering to compliments.

So, for example, let’s say I told you “you look beautiful”

• you respond by “your eyes are beautiful / عيونك حلوين” - it’s just a way to say thank you :slight_smile:

There is more - but let’s discuss that tomorrow!

Take care!!

2 Likes

Hi Zeina, thanks for being so cool and taking the time to post this! Also, it was indeed a gorgeous one. Looking forward to tomorow!

You are very welcome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi everyone!

I want to primarily thank those who showed up for our session today - sessions will be held in the Venus room from on btw :slight_smile:

I also would like to add that moving forward we will be using a shared Google doc, to include all our study materials in one place. That way everyone can have equal access to our discussions, at any time.

I wanted to offer those, who are not able to attend in the AM EST, the opportunity to practice Arabic at a later time. Would Mondays at 3pm EST work? Please, let me know.

@Dhinny @Louisiane @Alma @Domi @ArabicFan123 @Alberto @Danielle @Samira @Blanche @Motz @Louisiane

3 Likes

@NewbiePiano @Rina @RonP @Alanood @Marzanna @Johanna @Mo_1 @Carlos1 @Carlo @Astari2

2 Likes