What is the best method for you to learn languages?

One thing that I realized in polyglot community, that polyglot mostly learn by themselves, not in school or course. That is interesting to know and share your most effective method.
For me, I just having genuine conversation in target language. No book, no grammar, but I will acquire it unconsciously. I like it.

12 Likes

In my experience, Iā€™ve studied my languages depending on how close the target language is to my native languages. As much as I enjoy learning Slavic languages, for some of them, I have been studying some of them with a tutor because they are not easy. Haha. For Portuguese, which is a language that I just started, I started learning with apps, and then I have been practicing recently, since Spanish is a similar language.

3 Likes

I have been using mostly language learning apps and self-study workbooks. I also use media input(videos, books and music) in my target languages to familiarize myself with the sound of the language. Only recently began participating in a Spanish conversation group. I am working towards fluency in three languages, but it can be a bit difficult on oneā€™s own. I love the discovery process while learning a new language.

14 Likes

discovery process, I like it too. I love when I realized which method works best for me :blush:

3 Likes

what do you learn with tutor? the grammar or speaking practice? I always use tutor to practice speaking

1 Like

It depends on the language, but generally I focus on grammar first and how I can combine words to create sentences. For vocabulary, I analyse songs that I like with the English translation next to it or TV series to find words that I donā€™t know and that I want to learn. And honestly I use Duolingo (Iā€™m not going to hide it) mainly for vocabulary. Iā€™m basically a input learner (a lot of it) and I donā€™t practise speaking that much, but as Iā€™m not in a hurry with languages I donā€™t need to speak them as soon as possible.

5 Likes

Recently, I was taking Bosnian lessons on Italki with a tutor, and I had speaking practice. I had one lesson where I reviewed pronunciation. I would use a tutor for both things if I have to.

4 Likes

That is my approach as well! Right now I am using Duolingo and YouTube to learn Finnish. It is so fascinating all new words and sounds that I canā€™t find in my native language (Spanish)

5 Likes

I think it depends, in my case, I can focus more when Iā€™m studying by myself. I use a lot of youtube so I can get used to how the lenguage sounds.

6 Likes

Singing songs in the target languages

6 Likes

I am still finding my best method to study. But currently, I like learning with different methods like repeating, thinking in other Language.

5 Likes

The best method is the method youā€™ll stick with. If you can make language learning a habit and something that you enjoy doing, there you go.

Iā€™ve been learning Japanese for almost a year now (since the last Polyglot Conference in Japan) and Iā€™ve gone though a variety of apps and methodologies and itā€™s kind of an evolving process. The only thing that is constant is the habits Iā€™ve developed. I tend to do most of my language learning right after I wake up. Iā€™m still in bed and then I do about 30 minutes to an hours worth of app based activities (Anki, Hammer (my new favorite SRS app for Japanese), LlingQ and LingoDeer). I always do 2-3 lessons on Duolingo on my subway ride to work and at night I like watching Netflix Japanese dramas and Anime. I also do 2 or 3 italki lessons with various Japanese teachers during the week.

Iā€™m always trying to optimize this process too as Iā€™m busy with work and family. If I have dead time or waiting time, I can get in a few more SRS cards or just listen to YouTube or Podcasts. Input is huge and with Japanese there is just so much juicy content out there.

Anyways, Iā€™ve been able to stick with this method for almost a year now and Iā€™ve been able to keep it up (and tweak it every now and then).

9 Likes

I personally like to combine multiple methods to expose myself to the language in a lot of different ways that compliment each other. I think in the end you have to just go with the method you enjoy the most because youā€™ll work at it more and not the method that is theoretically more efficient. The other thing is maybe itā€™s not the method itself that is the most important but your commitment and perseverance in working toward your language learning goal and keeping yourself motivated.

14 Likes

My life long I have been learning languages in classroom settings. First in school then at university and later at the adult education centre (ā€œVolkshochschuleā€). I prefer excellent teachers - not necessarily native speakers, but those who have good didactical skills and an excellent pronounciation. To give an example I had a very good Danish teacher and she was Austrian.
I am still attending a course of Norwegian Bokmal the course program lists it as a ā€œB2 - C1ā€ course. Besides all my classroom learning I have added some elements of self study, as I now taught myself the Russian printed alphabet. I would do 1-2 classes more, but I canā€™t financially.

4 Likes

That is brilliantly put! The method that works is the method that you will stick with. So trueā€¦ but nobody has ever verbalized it for me so well.

Personally I find that using the language actively (emails, chat rooms, chatting when travelling, etc.)is the best method, even when I am at a low levelā€¦ it has always been relevant to my life, and I guess thatā€™s why I have always ā€œstuck with itā€

5 Likes

The one that continuously evolves, and it depends on my personal strengths and weaknesses and the language at hand.

3 Likes

Hola, I am Azeera from Chennai, India. Please let me know how you are learning Old Norse, Faroese and Scotsā€¦Tell me about the resourcesā€¦ Even I find it very difficult to find resources to learn Welsh.

not the best method, but at least sustain what iā€™ve already learntā€¦
para mi, escucho las radios todos los dias.
Ʃgalement en franƧais, je regarde des Ʃmissions de tƩlƩ-journaux.
with sites like ā€œradio . gardenā€, the world is within our reach.

1 Like

For me just a lot of inputs: reading books and listening to their audiobooks, watching some movies/series with subtitles and others without it, listening to mini-stories and so on ā€¦for example when I want to learn new vocabularies about some field I watch a documentary about that field. no grammar book, no trying to remember anything just enjoying the language that I learn.

3 Likes

For me, what has always worked best (in language learning and every other subject) is ā€œlearning by doingā€. I like taking courses or italki lessons, reading books, watching movies or TV or YouTube videos suitable to my current level. I do sometimes enjoy to use apps, too, especially for vocabulary learning, but I canā€™t stick with them continuously as I usually get bored by these apps and then have to take a break from them.

My approach may not be the fastest way to learn a language, but for me, it is the one that works best :slight_smile:

2 Likes