What is the best method for you to learn languages?

I agree with Jim Leu that the best method is the method you’ll stick with. But at the same time, I have to change methods all the time. I always have a method which is working best, but one year later I’ll have abandoned it for another method that works even better for me. And it may happen that I’ll return to a method of four years ago. A few of my methods so far: my own personal Anki made with little papers, watching videos and copying and translating the subtitles, reading a lot, Shadowing. My latest discovery is daily language exchange with my language partner; we started about ten days ago, and I wouldn’t have imagined such a quick development. I also got back to using a more or less traditional language course (online), copying into my exercise book what is new to me. But there was a time, when my focus was on listening for hours. I think I have to do what is exciting and interesting for me right now.

8 Likes

The best method for me is not to stick to one method for too long. I like to constantly surprise my brain with approaches and techniques. I could do a month of podcasts and films with subs, then switch to a textbook and exercises only, then do a week of conversational, then start actively writing online, then I force myself to think in target language in specific hours during the day, then I start a week of reading aloud… This week it’s flashcards with Quizlet and recording/re-playing my own voice.

6 Likes

I am a huge proponent of independent learning and input based activities like listening and reading! Mostly I have been listening to various podcasts and content at LingQ. It certainly works for me. Unfortunately language education system in Poland is strongly ineffective. Everyone in my country is learning to English since primary school but the vast majority substantially can’t speak. Why? Because school curriculum focuses on grammar drills, grammar exercises, grammar drills, grammar…and so forth and so on. It is simply boring, they simply kill our love for learning in many cases.

1 Like

Learn most frequently used words and then try to chat with natives and language learners as much as possible.

Pareto principle

2 Likes

What I use often depends on my energy level on a given day. When I’ve got more time and/or motivation, I might do more active things, like workbook exercises or some challenging reading, or maybe even (if available) taking opportunities for talk or text conversations (which does take some effort for an introvert like me!) When I’m more tired, but still want to get some contact time in with my language, I do things that feel more passive, like watching a video in the target language, or spending a few minutes on an app like Duolingo or Memrise. Also, I really like the Language Learning with Netflix extension, watching movies is great for motivation. :grinning:

5 Likes

Hi Azeera! I haven’t started looking for resources for Faroese yet. My main resources for Old Norse are two books about Old Norse (Viking Language 1 and Viking Language 2 by Jesse L. Byock) and Jackson Crawford’s YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCxNFxw6iq-Mh4uIjYvufg). In addition, to practise writing in runes, I write a journal in Spanish but I transcribe the sounds with the equivalent in runic writing so that I practise the alphabet. For Scots, I use Luath Scots Language Learner: An Introduction to Contemporary Spoken Scots by L. Colin Wilson and Scots Radio. I hope it helps! :grinning:

3 Likes

Even I watch Jackson Crawford YouTube channel. :wink: Thank you for your information. This would help me a lot :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

No grammar!! I agree. Just practice your target languages everyday and that’s all. To sing helps with the pronunciation and… to see movies with subtitles could be a good choice to learn new vocabulary.
Books are ok, but no grammar and better if you have audio books.

6 Likes

I use to describe languages as swimming pools, where the walls and the floor of the swimming pool is the grammar, and the water (the liquid) is the vocabulary. I don’t care if I have half of the water: I jump over a 10-meter platform anyway. Very easy: once I have memorised 150 verbs and 2000 words of content, and studied grammar a lot, the rest is practising and talking, interacting with others, as you build your language on the way. I used to explain that in the Mundo Lingo meetings here in Buenos Aires.

10 Likes

Hi @hoopstats

Language education in German schools is very grammar oriented. Pupils who have no ability of understanding grammar structures analytically are in disadvantage there. I for example really loved our grammar lessons and exercises in Latin! For me grammar is a system or a structure in which I can integrate the words and form expressions and more complex - whole sentences.

5 Likes

like this, I do agree input is very important.

2 Likes

woaah…Amirul Wan from Malaysia, nice to meet you again in another polyglot event :grin:

1 Like

I think it’s completely normal and very human to want to change up your method. You’re always finding new ones and as your language ability gets better, you will obviously incorporate new ways to learn. It’s an ongoing experiment on yourself and how you learn best. One of the joys that I have in learning a new language is the fact that I get to try something fresh and new and discard of old methods that I kind of get tired of. End of the day, you’re always progressing… so it makes whatever you do just worth it.

7 Likes

nice to meet you on this platform Dini!

1 Like

Interesting topic and interesting approaches.
I’ll try to give my 2 cents on this.
First of all, I enjoy learning through books material (self-taught method with audio such as Assimil, small conversation guide to have a quick grasp on set phrases, a decent grammar book to get a better picture of the language structure and to be referred to when necessary.
Then, I try to get exposure through video/audio contents (radio, youtube) and reading (content that match my level obviously)
Whenever I start learning a new language, I tend to learn it on my own for couple of weeks/months, getting a lot of input. Once I feel more comfortable with it, I try to use it with people (through tandem, italki tutors) or face to face when it’s possible.
An then, consistency and strong motivation in the long run do the rest

9 Likes

very comprehensive approach of learning

It depends on the language, but generally I focus on grammar first and how I can combine words to create sentences. For vocabulary, I analyze songs that I like with the English translation next to it or TV series to find words that I don’t know and that I want to learn. And honestly I use Duolingo and Rosetta Stone (I’m not going to hide it) mainly for vocabulary. I’m basically a input learner (a lot of it) and I don’t practice speaking that much, but as I’m not in a hurry with languages I don’t need to speak them as soon as possible.

6 Likes

I find learning a language just because of a “love for languages” to be extremely boring.

So for me the most important ingredients for learning to speak a language are the following:

1. An overwhelming passion to connect with people, and to learn more about their culture, their peculiarities, and their way of life.

2. Perseverence - that is, the tenacity to stay disciplined and to push through when others have given up long ago.

3. Your own specific way of connecting strange sounds to known meanings. What I mean is, you must have your own specific way of memorizing words and phrases of your target language. Personally I find association to be a great method.

4. Immerse yourself in everything the specific culture of the speakers has to offer.

So, this is how I go about it.

11 Likes

I believe the first thing you need to have is the reason you’re learning the language, regardless of whether it is studies/work, relationship or interest in the language etc. Your reason to learn the language will keep you going when you feel like giving up.

When learning the language, immersion is very important. I will create my own environment in which it feels as though I am a native speaker of that language. I will change my phone language, write memos, do-to-lists in that language, listen to music or watch dramas/variety programs/sitcoms and even the news in that language, I will think and talk to myself in that language and I will find speakers of that language to talk to (doesn’t necessarily have to be native speakers, someone who can communicate in the language will do).

In this way, I live the life of a native speaker of my target language and this will help you to better grasp and learn the language faster, more effectively and in a much more interesting way as compared to textbooks and lessons. You can also learn slangs, native expressions, the way people speaking the language communicate and culture that you cannot learn from textbooks.

10 Likes

What are the languages are you learning?