ภาษาไทย Thai Language

มีใครพูดภาษาไทยได้ไหม Does anyone speak Thai here? I would like to have some insights as a beginner in Thai. ขอบคุณค่ะ🙏🏻 Thank you very much!

2 Likes

I guess there aren’t many Thai speakers and learners here :frowning:

1 Like

สวัสดีครับ! I’d like to know them as well because I just began to learn Thai and its alphabet! :smiley:

ผมพูดภาษาไทยนิดหน่อย. But I’m also a beginner. Also, as fellow beginners, do you guy struggle with reading Thai? Even though I learned the alphabet, it’s so difficult to read words since they’re all crammed together in sentences. I find it also makes it hard to write in Thai - I usually only just remember the listening and speaking parts.

Hello everybody, I haven’t even started learning Thai yet, but I would like to know if you have any recommendations on good learning materials like apps, websites, YouTube videos for learning the Alphabet (reading/writing) and the basics of Thai language??

I pretty much exclusively take language lessons on Italki which is really cost inefficient, but I otherwise haven’t really found too many resources online for studying Thai.

1 Like

That’s a pity, but I was afraid you’d say this. I really just wanted to tap a bit into the language by myself at first, learn the writing system and then take lessons … Ah well, I’ll just keep pestering Google - maybe it’ll come up with something I like for starting :slight_smile:

@Rina @Robert Hello guys. These are my favourite resources for learning Thai.

Introduction to Thai, Thai script/alphabet, Thai tones, Simple Thai Phrases

Structured Thai Lessons on Grammar, Sentence Structure, Vocabulary, Reading, Writing

Podcasts For Listening

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ll definitely have a look at all those links :slight_smile:

สวัสดีครับทุกๆคน เรา โจ ครับ เรียนภาษาไทยมาเกือบ 5 ปี เอาจริงๆมันไม่ง่าย โดยเฉพาะ การเขียน และ การอ่าน เราเรียนด้วยตัวเอง ใช้ หนังสือ วิดีโอ แล้วก็ที่สำคัญสุดก็คือเราพูดกับคนไทยบ่อยๆ ถ้าโจช่วยได้ ยินดีครับ

Hello everybody. I’m a French speaker from Belgium. I’ve been learning Thai for five years and it was no easy task… Especially when it comes to writing and writing. If you need any kind of help, feel free to ask me :slight_smile:

Thanks Jinyoung! Hey Joshua, I’m definitely interested in your experience in learning Thai! Can you tell us about your own journey in learning the language? I’m especially interested in if you learned it using French resources or English resources and how you personally practiced speaking/writing and what kinds of methods you had success with when you studied the language. Thanks!

Hi guys! There will be a Thai language exchange on 23 Oct 12nn (London time), 7pm(Beijing/Singapore time), 8pm (Korea/Japan time). If you are interested in a chat in Thai or to just get a feel of speaking Thai, please join us then at the Multilingual World room!

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I don’t speak Thai yet, but I’m very much interested in this beautiful language so I’ll try to listen in a bit on Friday :slight_smile:

Yes! You can come in and listen. I don’t speak fluent Thai anyways, we can always use any other common language to talk about Thai!

2 Likes

That sounds great :slight_smile: … Well, speaking SOME Thai definitely beats not speaking it at all :sweat_smile:

Thai language exchange is happening at Multilingual room now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some great resources I found for learning Thai are the following:

Aakanee - has a whole bunch of Thai recording with the transcript.

Thai with Grace - also has a whole bunch of Thai recordings with the transcript and other useful blog posts

I also used Adam Bradshaw on Youtube a lot when I was a beginner. He teaches English to Thais but in my opinion, his channel is more useful for people learning Thai :joy:

3 Likes

I’m sorry for the late reply. I wasn’t tagged and didn’t check the conversation.

I used " Thaiwithmod " on YouTube. It’s great and you can find some many videos according to your level.

I also found some materials from INALCO which is a University in Paris.

The most useful thing I done is talking weekly with Thai people using Hello talk, speaky,…

I also watch(ed) a lot of movies with or without subtitles and pause everytime I didn’t understand something. That’s basically it. I couldn’t find that many material.

Talking is the way. That being said, I still make many mistakes trying to get my tones right :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

For those interested in learning Thai, you might want to check out Stuart Raj Jay’s approach and materials. A Google search with ‘Stuart Raj Jay Thai’ will point you in the direction.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot @RonP! I didn’t know you are learning Thai as well!

2 Likes