ภาษาไทย Thai Language

Not at the moment, but I dabbled with a few beginner’s resources a while back, yet my competence is very, very low… I always keep an eye open for resources for a wide range of languages, even if not actively studying them at the moment. Thai and Khmer are one/two of those ‘I will get back to learning this/these one day’ languages. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey guys, I’ve found a good podcast for learning Thai and I want to share it with you. It has both the desktop version and mobile version on Apple and Spotify. The content is suitable for all learners and the transcript is available in English, Thai and romanizations. There are a variety of topics and it is quite engaging and interesting, not dry at all. I’ve been listening to it for a few days and I’m loving it! :grinning:
You too can learn Thai podcasts

4 Likes

@Joshuaz shared with me some Thai learning youtube channels last Friday after the language exchange and I found this one particularly useful : Learn Thai with Shelby. I like how she explains the expressions Thai people use in their daily life and also things that we shouldn’t say to avoid sounding weird and awkward :grinning:

4 Likes

I found this very useful website for learning Thai : Thai Notes. This website is very comprehensive.

Thai alphabets, reading, grammar are all very well explained and they even teach you how to type in Thai!

They also have a Thai-English dictionary and the explanations are pretty clear.

They also have flash cards for vocab and also a checker for you to check if you’ve typed the Thai alphabets in the correct order. IPA and Thai typing tools also available in this website.

I enjoyed using this website to supplement my Thai studies a lot and I highly recommend this website to everyone especially those self-studying.

5 Likes

Hello guys! I’m here to share another resource for Thai learning. I’m sure many of us who are working on reading and writing Thai have definitely felt frustrated about the complexity of Thai alphabet rules, especially the god-forsaken invisible vowels. They are technically there but yet not there but you have to know they are there and it’s just so annoying to see a bunch of consonants with no vowels, not knowing how to go about reading them. It lowers your confidence level and passion for Thai and yes, I’m now at this stage, but gradually coming out because after many intensive reading and writing practice sessions, I’m getting the hang of it :slight_smile:

Hence, I want to share this valuable resource on tackling the invisible vowel rules to help those who are struggling now and also to pre-empt and save the hassle for those who want to learn Thai someday. This blog explains in detail the invisible vowel rules in 3 blog posts and gave lots of examples. They show you how the vowels combine and change, how the vowels become ‘invisible’ and lists all the scenarios with explanations and examples. It is a very helpful resource to me and I hope it can benefit you as well :v:t2: @RonP @Rina

เมอร์รี่คริสต์มาส! :christmas_tree: :santa: (Merry Xmas!) Have fun learning ภาษาไทย Thai :thailand: :pray:t2:

6 Likes

khaawp khun khrap jinyoung :pray:

2 Likes

I learned how to read and write Thai this year which is kind of OK but I still struggle with the tone rules (and to remember which letter belongs to which group - high, mid or low).
I prefer writing my Thai notes on paper and I have a vocabulary notebook with three columns where I write the words in Thai, their German translation and how to pronounce them. This way works fine but it takes me endlessly to find out how to pronounce words that I haven’t learned yet. I started to learn the words with the correct tones right from day 1 (I know some learners don’t care about the tones first and learn them later but I wanted to make it right from the beginning). I’ve just seen a post here in the forum about colour coding – why have I never thought about that? Perfect idea.

But now I wonder how to actually make it… First I thought I’d write each letter in different colours (for example พูด would be พ red, for example, as it’s low class, and ด blue, as it’s mid class) which would somehow make sense. BUT mid class doesn’t mean it’s always mid tone and low class doesn’t mean it’s always low tone etc., you know what I mean. So when I write a word now that is low class and I write it in the colour for “low class = low tone” but it’s mid tone or whatever, what should I do then? Use a different colour for all the “low class but mid tone” and another one for “low class but high tone” etc.? Then I’d have too many colours. And rising and falling tones? Puhhh… (By the way, I don’t even know if mentioned classes with mentioned tones exist :grin: it’s just too complicated).

Did you use colour-coding for learning the Thai tones? How did you handle it? Or do you have any other tip how to memorize the tone rules better? I just can’t think several minutes which group, which sign, which tone for every word, I’d never learn anything that way. And just sticking to my current way is also not the best, I’d say, because like that I can only speak the words properly that I’ve actually written down and studied. I couldn’t read a Thai text with the correct tones.

I hope you guys have some tips and tricks to help :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

I completely gave up on memorising tone rules a month into studying Thai because that’s just not practical. Instead, a good way to remember tones is just to talk and practice speaking. When you speak correctly, your tones will get corrected and when you see the word in written form, you would naturally know how to pronounce it. I use this method to practice my Thai and it works so much better than just memorising tone rules.

4 months after I started using this method, not only can I hold a conversation in Thai better, I can read, write and understand written Thai better and also thanks to @Waan for helping me to practice Thai every week:) ขอบคุณมากๆนะ พี่ว่าน :blue_heart:

4 Likes

สวัสดีค่ะทุก ๆ คน
แม้แต่Topicนี้เก่า ๆ แล้ว แต่เราก็อยากถามว่าที่นี้ยังมีคนอืนที่เรียนภาษาไทยอยู่หรือเปล่า

1 Like