Southeast Asian Languages

Oh, that’s amazing! I think you’re the first Indonesian I’m talking to who knows what Québec is! I’m always so happy to help people learn it ^^

Tapi saya… tidak bisa berbicara bindo dengan baik. I can sort of introduce myself and that’s about it haha :slight_smile: I haven’t studied much since June. Thank you for offering your help :blush:

That’s perfectly fine, of course we can always talk in English (or a little French) as well. Je vous envoyez un message sur Instagram!

1 Like

Hi Ivan, don’t think I can make it on at 10 AM today due to a sudden work call but I may pop in afterwards when I’m free. Or maybe I’ll see you at the night session.

Hi Astari,
No problem at all. I may have not be able to make it tonight though. Have fun anyways.

Cheers,
Ivan

Went in for an hour at 10:00 Am today, met some really wonderful people in there who got interested in Bahasa Indonesia.

When asked what would I recommend, I actually shared that my Spotify song list is full of Indonesian band such as Peterpan, now Noah, Naff, Repvblik and even Nike Ardilla.

Have fun tonight.

P/S Been wanting to ask, what do you use as a resource to learn French.

3 Likes

Sounds amazing! Hope I can talk to you and those people too sometime soon. Also, my recommendation for more great Indonesian band songs would be from Naif (70s vibe music), Dewa 19 (pop rock ballads), or Sheila on 7 (alt-rock).

For French, I use this textbook as a beginner, the news website Le Monde and some good series in Netflix like “Family Business” or “Call My Agent”.

3 Likes

wow, many indonesian speaker here. I am indonesian too. hope to see you all in exchange language room. 8pm singapore time today?

For those of you who are interested in learning a little bit of Balinese, I’ll be doing an informal Zoom meetup in the Multilingual World room on Wed morning 21/10 at 9:00 (JST), which is 20/10 at 17:00 (PST), 21:00 (EST), and 21/10 at 1:00 GST (!). Hope to see some of you there!

2 Likes

Hi all! There will be a Thai language exchange on 23 Oct 12nn (London time), 7pm(Beijing/Singapore time), 8pm (Korea/Japan time). If you are interested in a chat in Thai or to just get a feel of speaking Thai, please join us then at the Multilingual World room!

4 Likes

Talking about Indonesian music, could you all share your playlists?
Here’s mine to begin with :slight_smile: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6s5zUQceBmvZpXK0rdIDlQ?si=7eRIrT_CTY6W1DGgsgvFow I like .Feast and Kunto Aji.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the list. I am checking some of them out right now.

Just curious, what motivates you to learn B. Indonesia?

I just started on my French and am trying to look for some singers that I can resonate with. Would you have a list on that too?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ivan

Travelling to South-East Asia has been in my plans for a while now and I want to travel for Indonesia for sure (I love hiking/trekking and my travel companions talked to me about Indonesia being one of the most beautiful countries they’ve visited).

I also listened to a couple of SE Asia languages for the sake of curiosity and I found Indonesian to be the most beautiful-sounding out of those.

Doesn’t harm that it’s also the 10th most spoken language in the world and said to be one of the world’s easiest languages to learn :slight_smile:

Here’s my playlist with music in French: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7nn0vw7kVZpCU3wZsOsXcM?si=J4GfGDIoRi-M7-zc3qc60g Hope you’ll find something you’ll enjoy.

4 Likes

thank you very much for the list. indeed Indonesian is a very melodic and the songs are really good.

2 Likes

Hi hi, presenting you my Indonesian playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5yaXFJI45JC24gGTr1Y4xM?si=Iql7X1OtQCSUBDsnoEmWNQ
It’s well mixed with a lot of things from mellow pop to rock, from 00s tunes to newer ones. Hope you all like the songs!

4 Likes

Are there any meetups planned this weekend :eyes: ?
I haven’t been able to practice my Indonesian and Japanese during this conference so far :o

wkwkwk I literally grew up listening to Dewa 19, Padi, Sheila on 7, Base Jam, Lingua (what a name!), PeterPan, Naif, Project Pop, Kla Project, Taksu, Bayou, Jamrud, Warna, Kahitna, Potret, Jikustik, The Groove, Hijau Daun, etc. and even published an article about Ebiet G. Ade. Was deeply saddened by the demise of Seventeen, it was a lovely band :((

Nice, hope you enjoy the playlist then! And gosh it’s so refreshing seeing wkwkwk on this conference, haven’t seen/use that in a week. You used to live in Indonesia or are you Indonesian?

There will be an Indonesian practice on Monday 26th 11 AM London time, hope you and everyone else can join in!

I learnt French listening to Jeanne Mas, she has a great voice and accent. She’s like French Madonna trying different music genres from pop and country to techno and hard rock. And I’m sure you know Anggun who became a French citizen.

1 Like