Arabic writing format issues

Hello all,

We, Arabic speakers, have been having some issues writing Arabic. Arabic is normally written from right to left; however, using the text boxes here to write Arabic has switched the direction to left -> right and also has been changing the overall format of our Arabic sentences.

Is there any way to fix this please? I tried copying and pasting my Arabic text from Word but the program automatically changed the direction back incorrectly.

Thank you so much for your attention!
Zeina :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Zeina!

We’ll try to see what the problem is. So far, I see that, sadly, there is only one way to write things, which is from left to right, and there isn’t a way to centralize or put text to the right.

1 Like

It sounds like other Discourse users have had similar issues in the past. A div tag workaround is proposed.

2 Likes

Thank you @MultilingualBronxite for clarifying :blush:

this is a test

Apparently the code above can be used to make text appear from right to left. You can try it with Arabic text if it can work. I don’t speak Arabic, so I woudn’t know if the writing could be understandable. Good luck. Thank you @wenchong for the posts, I see that Discourse is working on solutions because it is a website issue.

1 Like

Sounds good! I will try it and will post an update for other users.

Thank you so much!

You’re welcome! So the code is:

<.div dir=“rtl”>this is a test</div.>

Just remove the periods from the code after/before the “<,>” signs, and write in your text where “this is a test” is.

انا لا اتكلم العربية.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah perfect! I will let other Arabic users know.

Have a wonderful day!

1 Like

So you don’t speak Arabic and you were able to write in the right direction.

I am a native speaker. I tried the code 3 times, and it didn’t work. :joy:

1 Like

You can do something like this.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ve discovered this :slight_smile: but for the convenience of others who stumble on this thread: (note: omit the dots in the div tag)

This:

<div dir="rtl">انا لا اتكلم العربية.</div>

Produces:

انا لا اتكلم العربية.
1 Like
انا اتكلم العربية.

Thank you for the reminder! I did try to omit the dots the first time, and it did not work. However, when I used the computer instead of my phone, it worked.

Not sure if the device used has anything to do with all this, but the important thing is that the direction of Arabic is finally adjusted.

You guys @wenchong @MultilingualBronxite @Youssef are geniuses! Thank you!

3 Likes