Yidsish and hebrew😇

What is different between yiddish and hebrew?..

Hebrew is a Semitic language. Yiddish is a Germanic language with Hebrew and Slavic loanwords.

2 Likes

Hey Alimovic,

You might find this video interesting: https://youtu.be/66nsBFXWSW4
There is a topic about Yiddish on this forum in which Matias explains about the origins of Yiddish: I found that Afrikaans, Yiddish and Swiss German have some traces in common

2 Likes

Do you write and read Yiddish with Latin script from the left to the right and with Hebrew script from the right to the left?
What scipt for Yiddish do you prefer?

1 Like

Of course Yiddish writes from right to left with Hebrew characters, but, unlike Hebrew, the pronounciation becomes strictly phonetic. As an Ashkenazic Jew, a grandson of Yiddish speakers, and as a Hebrew speaker who also knows Yiddish grammar, I prefer to read Yiddish in Hebrew alphabet.

3 Likes

I never knew that there is a language called Yiddish and thanks to this forum I got to know about the existence of Yiddish and actually check it out! I love the sounds of Yiddish although the script seems like a tough nut to crack but I am definitely adding it to my ‘languages I want to learn’ list :smiley:

5 Likes

I found a nice example of a Yiddish speaker. German speakers can find out to what extent they can understand what she talks about.

5 Likes

Is the biggest Yiddish speaking community in New York at present? Is it also still used in Israel and spoken by the younger generation of Ashkenazi, or only the elder generation?

2 Likes
3 Likes

I am pretty good at German, and I can understand about 85% of what she is saying.

2 Likes

The video of the Yiddish speaking lady doesn’t play. It remains all black. Technical problem.

Oh jammer Jolien. Bij mij gaat het filmpje lopen. Misschien kan je het in Youtube zoeken als je het graag wil zien. Succes. Groetjes uit Maastricht

1 Like

There is a large Yiddish speaking community among the most religious Jews in Israel, specifically in Jerusalem, Tzifat and Bnei Brak, as well as among mostly the older generation of Russian Jewish immigrants. I think the use of Yiddish in NY is much more limited to a few ultra-religious communities, such as in Boro Park and Williamsburg.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that Yiddish could be written with the Latin alphabet

Montreal also has two significant Hasidic communities: Mile End/Outremont (where I live) and Boisbriand. I understand a certain amount because of German but after taking some Yiddish classes, I realized that the Yiddish spoken here is mixed with a lot of English. People thought my version of Yiddish was very strange :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most of Yiddish speakers are concentrated in the USA, especially in the Jewish Orthodox community in the New York metropolitan area. There are also communities in Israel and Argentina.

2 Likes

Jetzt endlich kann ich das Video abspielen! Leider spielen die laute Musik dabei, während die Dame spricht, ich kann mich total nicht konzentrieren auf das, was sie sagt. Es hat daher keinen Sinn, das Video weiter anzuhören. Sehr schade! :frowning:

Die Musik hört auf seit 1:20 im Video

1 Like

Soviel Geduld habe ich ja schon nicht gehabt, danke!

1 Like

Hörverständnis Video in Yiddisch / Listening comprehension video in Yiddish

Mit meiner Elternsprache Deutsch kann ich mindestens 95 % verstehen, obwohl ich diese Sprache noch nie vorher gehört hatte.

With my native language German I can understand at least 95 % even, if I had never heard this language before.

2 Likes