YEERRRRRR....ehhh I mean, Hi! Miguel here

Hi there.

Not to brag, cuz I don’t like that, but I think I’m pretty known in the language community, but for those who I haven’t met in person or online and don’t know me, I will introduce myself. :slight_smile:

I am from The Bronx, NYC. My parents are from Mexico, from the state of Puebla, only 2 hours away from Cholula. (shucks)

I got into language learning, and subsequently, the language community, after attending the 2015 Polyglot Conference here in my backyard at the SVA Theatre, and then becoming a fan of attending language conferences and meeting new language enthusiasts. This year’s Conference was supposed to be my 3rd one being there in person, but this year, it will be online. Maybe next year…

Although I’ve studied a few Romance languages in the past, and am kinda good at them, I’m a Slavic language enthusiast, seeing the challenge of learning them and the people one can meet by learning them, as well as the rich and long history in many of the Slavic countries.

In the past, I liked having the title of polyglot, but I found a better and happier purpose in helping others practice my native languages and giving others a chance or a space to practice. It isn’t about how many languages does one speak but what good and contributions can one give to the community. For this reason, I became a language teacher. Hit me up if you would like help in Spanish or English. As for studying, I’m a language enthusiast and only learn languages that I like, and I have no interest in piling up languages that I don’t have an interest in or uselessly showing off how many I speak, I kinda don’t keep count, but I happy that way.

My native or near-native languages: Spanish, English
My C1/C2 languages:
My B1/B2 languages: French
My A1/A2 languages: Portuguese, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Slovak
I also want to learn or have started to learn: Czech, Greek, Bulgarian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian

Non-language things: I like Eastern European history, baseball and football (Go Yankees), music, some comedy stuff (New York related)

I have a language blog that I’ve been writing stories and posts on for 3 years now, and you can visit https://multilingualbronxite.wordpress.com/. I have enjoyed writing for a while, and it’s my way to tell stories when I can’t tell them in person.

Later.

7 Likes

Hii! It feels good to read about your passion for languages! I’ll sure cheack your blog… I can relate when you say you only learn languages that you like , I feel the same way. I have tried learning a certain language because people had told me that itwas a important language to know, even though I didn’t like it. It was not a good experience and from now on, I only learn languages that I am interest in. Mucho gustoo!! Ps: If you need someone to practice Portuguese with,I’ll be around. Just read on your blog about “Poliglotar”. So cool! I didn’t know about it !!

2 Likes

Hi Larissa! Thank you, I’m glad you agree. :slight_smile:

Sure, it would be great to chat with you in various languages, maybe I’ll see you this weekend in Poliglotar. :slight_smile: I"ll be in the English language group on Saturday afternoon.

2 Likes

Hey! Me encanta la forma en la que hablas sobre el aprendizaje de idiomas. Esta es mi primera conferencia y estoy bastante emocionada.
¡Hace unos años fui a México con un grupo de danza y estuvimos en Puebla! me pareció un lugar hermoso.

3 Likes

iHi Maria! Nice to meet you. :slight_smile:

Muchas gracias por tus palabras. Yo lo tomo con calma cuando aprendo y practico, es como si estuviera en la playa, y poco a poco, me meto a practicar como si estuviera metiendome al agua. Es una analogía que usó Richard Simcott en una presentación pasada. iBienvenida a este mundo de conferencias, y estamos contentos de tenerlos, no importa cuantos lenguajes hablan!

Que bonito que hayas ido a Mexico, y que te gusto. Como se sabe, teniamos que ir alla este año, pero quizas podremos it a Puebla el año siguiente. :slight_smile:
Algun dia espero visitar a Venezuela cuando se pueda.

1 Like

Amazing!! Too bad I wasn’t able to be in poliglotar. I am sure you had a lot of fun though :smiley:

Awww, I’m sorry to hear that, Larissa. :frowning:
Yes, it was a nice conference. And the chatrooms were fun. I hope to chat with you in a chatroom soon. :slight_smile: