Where would you end up?

Growing up in the US, I heard that if you dug a hole to the other side of the earth, you would end up in China.

I asked this question of a friend in Sweden, and without telling him my answer, his answer was also China.

I asked the same of a few Australian friends, again without telling them my answer, they also said China.

If you were to dig a hole to the other side of the earth from where you are, where would you end up?

1 Like

According to an antipodes map, somewhere in the Indian ocean.

https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page=antipodes

1 Like

I’ve found myself a little SE of the coast of Africa and Madagascar.
I, too, was told China is on the other side of the earth from the US.
@Bando this was a fun little diversion. Do you think that most other countries, minus China, say that China is on the other side of a hole dig through the earth?

It makes sense you’ll end up in China for us in North America. But why does it make sense if you’re basically in the same time zone (in Australia)?

I’ll make it my mission to travel the rest of the world and find that out.

2 Likes

I love that idea. I wholeheartedly support this endeavor.

1 Like

I thought that I would end up in Kazakhstan. Maybe it IS China… :thinking: :thinking:

In Germany, we also say that you would land in China;-)

1 Like

To my knowledge the Germans would come out somewhere close to New Zealand when digging that hole right through the earth :grinning: anyway, it must be somewhere on the Southern Hemisphere.

If you check the antipodes map I linked to above, the Spaniards end up in New Zealand. Germans unfortunately end up in the ocean. :slight_smile:

Ha, most folks tend to forget the earth has latitudinal curvature (good observation!), so northern hemisphere folks will end up in the southern hemisphere and vice-versa – the folks who would actually end up in China are Chileans and Argentinians. :slight_smile: (And a sliver of Bolivians and Paraguayans)

1 Like

Ok let’s find out! :+1:

2 Likes

Super interesting!
So, are there any Chileans or Argentinians here who could tell us what they were told as a kid? Would be funny if it was not China :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, so true. I was told China growing up in Germany. Actually, one of those childhood memories I still remember vividly, although I was still very small at the time, is that when I was playing in a sandbox I hoped that I would one day dig a hole so deep that I would make it all the way to China. That would have been so awesome. Little did I know that I couldn’t really dig that deep or through the center of the earth for that matter but, in spite of what my parents said, geography wasn’t on my side either. :cry:
I hope I’ll make it to China going around the earth one day though.

5 Likes

I think I heard this as a child as well, isn’t that crazy? I’m Uruguayan. I’m going to ask my chinese friends what they are told about this matter :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Wow, this link actually shows you where you end up.
https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page=antipodes

The opposite side of the Earth for Chinese people is actually… Argentina!
For Americans, you end up west of Australia.

As I’m sure everyone knows, the “other side of the world” is more of a metaphorical state of mind, rather than a geographical question. I’ve always thought Japan is the most “different” society, compared to the West.

1 Like

I’m in the Netherlands and always heard that I would end up in Australia!

1 Like

Interesting. That’s different.

This is one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever read! From the Midwest of the US, it was always China. In fact, there was a TV commercial for a pesticide for your yard to prevent weeds from growing, and you see an American man pulling the weed up, and then the Chinese man is upside down on the screen pulling the weed “down“!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes