When did you realise that you love languages?

When was the 1st time that u realized that u love languages and maybe the idea of taking language learning professionally crossed ur mind?

2 Likes

I realised that I have an ability to learn languages and an ability to communicate. I love cultures, and I realised when I was young that the only way to learn a culture is through the natural communication vehicle, that is, the languages. Learning languages became a necessity and, little by little, I began to love languages.

2 Likes

I realised when I was very young, probably around the age of 5. I used to enjoy imitating accents around me. I also started picking up words from other languages and was focused on learning as many as I could. How about you, Hussein? You asked the question, so you need to answer too! :smiley:

3 Likes

The 1st time i learned a language was when i was nearly 8 years old i guess when me and my family moved to France and we lived there for 2 years .
At first i didnā€™t wanna learn French because i guessed why would i have to if weā€™re going to return to my country after 2 years :joy: and thatā€™s the question what i asked my mom after a while i started to make friendship there at school and started learning French and the polyglot dream crossed my mind but actually i didnā€™t learn languages after French and English till the age of 21 but this year when the pandemic started and we were isolated at our houses i decided to take advantage from this opportunity and started with Spanish again.

2 Likes

I figured it out quite randomly, actually.
I was studying musical theatre, but our school entered on strike, so I was not doing anything for 8 months, and I got sick of it. I decided to just leave and travel. I found a university that offered generous scholarships for long-term exchange programs when studying languages. I registered, got in on a full scholarship. Just because I wanted the money. But then I realized I really loved my courses and I was doing very well :slight_smile: And I got hooked!

2 Likes

This is actually one of my earliest memories. I was very young, probably around 8 or 9, and I went on a walk with my family. We were discussing school. The topic of our foreign language class (it was a mix of French, German and Spanish) came up. It was an introductory course that would allow us to choose which language, if any, to take in middle school. I remember talking to my Mom and asking if it was possible to learn all 3 languages to a high level, and she replied yes. I asked how many languages one person could learn in a lifetime, and she said that there wasnā€™t a limit. I canā€™t even describe to you the excitement I felt. I got some paper and a pen and began to make a list of all the languages I was going to learn in my life. I came up with about 15-20. Oddly enough, I remember making a point to not put German on my list, because I didnā€™t like my German teacher. Now, German is my primary language and I live and work in Germany. Iā€™m still working on my list, which has been revised and re-revised many times since. I hope Iā€™ll never stop working on that list.

Also, @Hussien22, this was a lovely question to ask. Thank you for reminding me of such a beautiful moment in my life.

3 Likes

Around age 10-11. I used to go to the library to read books about different languages (no internet then). I borrowed an Italian book from the library before I went to Venice age 14. Now, many years later, it was so nice to return to Venice this year as a fluent Italian speaker.

3 Likes

I realized that i love learning languages after an awful accident while i was working, which sent me to a wheel chair for aproximately a year and a half, my first contact with a foreign language was with the german language and Duolingo i got obssesed with finishing that german tree on duolingo, that i started to search help an resources on social networks the duolingo forums and other sites on the internet, luckily iā€™ve found more friends to learn and practice with and i managed to finish that german tree from spanish, afterwards i started the italian tree and eventually i got involved in the duolingo events where i met people who were passionate languages learners and i realized that language learning was soo cool

4 Likes

I was in 6th grade and it was Japanese! Discovering a new world and culture through language was so fun! I ended up studying Japanese through to university then life got in the way. It has been amazing to rediscover this feeling through Persian some 20 years later, though!

2 Likes

Back in elementary school we had the opportunity to get into a paid English class since it was not part of the normal curriculum. I still vividly remember how I actually made up songs out of the vocabulary we had to learn. Later in 7th grade English became my favorite topic at school and I tried to do as much as I could in that language. I even talked English with a friend of mine and wrote poetry (a little embarrassing though). I have loved languages ever since, took up Spanish in high school and later I even studied English at university :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Short answer: about 8 years ago by accident!

Long answer: I didnā€™t like languages or language learning. I studied Engineering, so ā€œpeople like us donā€™t learn languagesā€. But as I was aimlessly browsing the interwebs, I stumbled upon Duolingo and started learning Spanish because it was the first option. I just wanted to test the new website.

As I kept on playing with Spanish on Duolingo, I started having questions about the language and browsed other websites to find answers. I started watching videos on YouTube, too. And somehow I fell in love with the language. I even pushed myself to speak the language with others after 3 months (that was scaaaary!) and planned my first trip to Spain.

I fell in love with languages and they changed me from inside out. I owe everything to them. I found a great job and moved to another country thanks to them. Iā€™m happy I was bored that day and decided to test Duolingo :smiley:

4 Likes

Ī“ĪµĪ¹Ī¬ ĻƒĪæĻ… ĪœĪ±ĻĪÆĪ±! Ī ĻŽĻ‚ ĪµĪÆĻƒĪ±Ī¹! Ī§Ī±ĪÆĻĪæĪ¼Ī±Ī¹ Ļ€ĪæĻ… ĻƒĪµ Ī²Ī»Ī­Ļ€Ļ‰ ĪµĪ“ĻŽ!
#hyperpolyglots

2 Likes

I figured out I really love learning languages about 2 years ago.
Hereā€™s my timeline of exposure:
High school: Spanish class
Early 20s: listen to Rammstein
Mid 20s: send my son to Japanese immersion school
Late 20s: visit Europe
Early 30s: start dancing with Zumba
Mid 30s: start using Duolingo
Today: I enjoy learning languages, learning about language, etymology. I find that the understanding of other languages is fairly easy for me, but the speaking part is the most challenging. Iā€™m determined to achieve a B2 level in each of the 3 languages Iā€™m focused on and then continue from there.

3 Likes

I realized I enjoyed languages around 6-8 years old.

6 Likes

For me as a very young child it was a necessity to learn English quickly to be able to attend elementary school in the United States with succes. Later on I chose as my secondary school a grammar school (ā€œGymnasiumā€) where foreign languages were normal school subjects. At that time not languages were my hobby but my favourite sports tennis and tabletennis and guitar playing. So it was not difficult to learn languages in my youth, but there was nothing special about it.

4 Likes

I think for me it started when I wanted to learn French when I was about 6 or 7 years old haha. then when I was able to learn in High School, my teacher and I really clicked and I think thatā€™s genuinely when I fell in love with learning languages. when I went to work for Disney World, I fell in love even more and I spent a lot of time talking to my coworkers in their native language and hanging around Epcot and talking to those employees. itā€™s been a strange string of events but yea haha.

3 Likes

When I listened to music from all over the world :slight_smile: Iā€™m really into ethnic music.

4 Likes

I remember really enjoying starting to learn German when I was 13ā€¦ when I went as an Erasmus student to Germany I became fascinated with lots of languagesā€¦ thatā€™s when I realized I really liked learning them

3 Likes

I first started studying English and Spanishā€¦ Then in 2008 I started studying Ancient Greek at the University and I realized how awesome it would be if I studied more languages. There are so many in this world and so many Ā“people to talk with! Besides, Iā€™d like to help them to speak some English, Spanish and my native language, Portuguese. So Iā€™ve decided to speak in a conversational level (something between B1/B2/C1) at least 20 languages by 2030. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had to learn English when I moved to the U.S and never though about it as if I liked it or not, it was just something that happened. The only thing was that I seemed to learn at a very fast rate, so I suppose I enjoyed it, but I donā€™t remember much of the learning process, just some ā€œahaā€ moments and the fact that ESOL classes (as they were called then in school) werenā€™t very useful, everything else going on around me was, and the necessity to communicate.

But to answer the question, when I began learning Portuguese and deeply enjoyed the process, the music, the series and books I found! I always had a hunch I liked languages, but didnā€™t really get into learning for pleasure until a bit into adulthood. I think being a native Spanish speaker helped, obviously, but still!

2 Likes