When did you first realise that you were a polyglot?

Around age 19 as I was learning new languages at work & spending all day in a multilingual environment.

4 Likes

I like your analogy with juggling. Juggling (actual juggling with balls) is my other hobby and thatā€™s why I called my Youtube channel Andy Juggles Languages! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I donā€™t consider myself a polyglot yet, but I felt pretty cool at work when I thought about how I spent my day editing English texts, talking to coworkers and attending meetings in Chinese, emailing the French branch in French, practicing Turkish during my lunch break and realized none of these are my native language.

8 Likes

Nora, I consider you to be a polyglot! If you are using all those languages and none of them is your native language, thatā€™s pretty cool.

3 Likes

I donā€™t consider myself to be a polyglot yet because I have not had the opportunity to use multiple languages at the same time. Oh well.

@Gabriel

There is not a better time than now. You can use as many languages as you want at once here. Go for it :smile:

Zeina

2 Likes

I consider myself more of a language enthusiast. But I have learned so so much from polyglots in terms of ways to study, resources, and encouragement.

I tend to be a long term ā€˜serial language learnerā€™. I have a hard time carrying more than 2 languages at once in my head (my own and whatever I am currently studying) I still aspire one day to be able to speak more than 2 at a time without words from one language leaking into the other. But I suspect that is for another topic.

9 Likes

I started more seriously reflecting on my own language learning ability, when I was already conversant in my fourth language. This was roughly in the year of 1994.

2 Likes

Hi, nice to meet you! I realized when at age of sixteen someone explained to me that I was (the meaning behind this word). If you consider 2 as bilingual and 3+ polyglot. At that time my 2 other languages werenā€™t that good, so it depends also on what level you consider yourself a xxxxx-language-speaker. Iā€™m Chinese but grown up in Italy, learning English was compulsory at school, my parents speak only dialect with me. Now Iā€™m sure, because Iā€™ve reached a good level in both mandarin and English. But it is difficult to classify when someone is in a gray zone like my dialect, I donā€™t even know where to go to learn it.

3 Likes