What do you think about language-learning apps?

My favourite apps are Duolingo, Memrize, Clozemaster, Lingvist and 50languages.

Hi! I am using only LingQ and I strongly recommend it!

Other apps? To be honest I am not convinced. I used to use Duolingo but I am not a huge proponent of this app. I would say it is good when you try to learn language from scratch. Once you have achieved basic level of comprehension you need to use something like LingQ. It gives you access to real materials, native content.

6 Likes

I only use Quizlet and Cram. There was (maybe still is) this HiNative app I used to frequent but it got really bloated with ads…

Basically, apps is just a supplement. The generation of digital natives desperately looks for a perfect app to teach them a language, but apps are just not there yet :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I like LingQ as well. I have used it to learn the basics of Italian and Russian. However, for me, it’s missing a huge visual component. So I have to also find youtube lessons, and I have to have a notebook where I write out words and phrases (especially for Russian in order to learn the alphabet well).

2 Likes

I use exclusively Anki, although this application is not very user-friendly, once you master the tool, it is only bliss. The problem is the time it takes to learn how to use the tool.

For those of you who are interested in language learning applications, you might want to check-out my presentation which is available via the “Saturn Room” (conference presentations section). It is about an advanced language learning platform called LBI - Languages By Immersion. I am a very passionate language learner, and I have developed this platform based on my language learning experiences. I currently speak 7 languages and am working on my 8th.

The LBI platform allows you to import any Youtube video that you select and convert it into compelling language learning material by automatically generating subtitles as well as translations of those subtitles into your native language. The platform also automatically generates “popover” definitions so that you can look up the meaning of individual words and expressions by simply “clicking” or “hovering” on the words or expressions.

For the past 4 years I have been researching how digital technology and artificial intelligence can radically transform how we learn languages. The culmination of this work is a digital language learning platform named LBI - Languages By Immersion. The LBI platform leverages digital technologies and artificial intelligence to create a virtual immersive environment where, assisted by digital tools, you can accelerate language learning through exposure to compelling and comprehensible video content in the target language.

If you are interested in knowing more about this new platform, please reach out to me. I am available to answer questions and to provide a live demo. The platform is currently in beta testing, so I am very interested in getting feedback from polyglots and language learners.

I also have a full-length presentation on this topic which is available in the Presentations section of the conference (Saturn Theater). Look for the presentation entitled “The Digital Transformation of Language Learning”.

4 Likes

Bonne question,
et qui passionne tout le monde

Right Savannah, and I think that the routine you built using it made the difference. I believe that any method is good, when you commit to it.

right Zaiht, and you’re not the only one who uses Duolingo to begin a new language. Some people use it way beyond just the beginner level too! I’ve had students using it aside from our private lessons for years and years

I did use an app (duolingo) back there when I started learning English, but nowadays, I short of stopped cause I didn’t feel that it doesn’t help that much, so I started to have a lot of exposure to the language and also studying with flashcards ( English for that metter) and I noticed a pretty dencent improvement.

Now with French I did use Duoling in the begining, so i could catch a few phrases to start and when I caught some important phrases I put them on Anki and started reviewing them and nowadays i do the same I did wih Enlgish, havening a heap of exposure to the language.

2 Likes

This looks incredibly interesting! Would be happy to beta test.

Duolingo is good for a start, But it’s not enough to learn a language.

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out Jim! We are planning to extend our beta program early next year when the LBI Platform software will be getting closer to “prime time”. We are still working on fine tuning our AI algorithms and broadening the list of languages that we support. I will be very happy to have you join as a beta tester at that time.

In the meantime, I would be happy to give you a demo of the existing system which gives a good appreciation of the LBI platform functionality, concepts and approach to language learning. Please send me a message if you would like me to arrange that. You can also check out the LBI web site at languagesbyimmersion.com.

Regards,
Piero

1 Like

If you would like to get an idea about the LBI platform, you can check out these demo videos:

Wow, thanks soooo much, I’ve never heard of these chrome plugins before. Will definitely have a look at them, especially the Netflix plugin as I just loooove Netflix :joy:

I WISH LingQ would add some Gaeilge (Irish) to their offerings. It looks like such a great service! I tried Duolingo last year and quickly tired of all the stupid sentences it would give me that I would never ever want to say. Things like “the crab is in front of the fox”, I mean I get that they were grammar practice, but it got tiresome.

2 Likes

I think that Duolingo app is ok to start with especially for people who like the gamification approach, it can be fun. It enables to get some fundamentals, some basic understandings of the language patterns but in my view it turns tedious and irrelevant quite rapidly.

3 Likes

I’d like to test it as well. Please get in touch.

Thank you for your interest Robert. I have send you a PM so that I can notify you when the LBI platform will be available for more widespread testing.

Best Regards,

Piero

Thank you for mentioning Hammer. I haven’t heard about it before, so I checked it and it’s lovely.