What do you think about language-learning apps?

hi, there, i’m curious about yourthougts on language learning apps, do you youse it? have you guys learned a language with them? :slight_smile: :grimacing:

5 Likes

Hello,

I had long been hesitant of lanugage learning apps, but I have been using Duolingo for over half a year now and I am very happy with the progress I’ve made. I do still think of it as a complement to learning a language (vs. a stand alone learning system) but it is pretty effective. I like that they remind you to do it everyday and you can do it while you’re out and about. I definitely would recommend anyone who is curious to give it a try, because it is completely free.

3 Likes

hi :slight_smile: nice, i’m a huge fan of duolingo cause it helped me a lot in ordee to get my german A1 and to get know more language enthusiasts and native speakers at the duolingo events, i really really love duo but after some weeks i feel stucked on my learning progress, so i would say that duo is nice to begin learning or gettin familiar with the basics only, even if one completes the skill trees with all the five stars one does not go far more from the a2.1 level at least based on my experience learning german italian and french :smiley:

1 Like

I like using Duolingo too, because it motivates you to to study the language every day, even if it’s just for a few minutes. I see it as a additional method, together with other study materials and methods. If you use only Duolingo for instance, you will get almost no speaking practice. Moreover, not all grammatical points are thoroughly explained on Duo.

2 Likes

I agree. Using only language app is no guarantee of progress if one aims for a deeper understanding of a language. Language apps are good for vocabulary, but little else. Personnally I use apps like Duolinguo as flashcards and have yet to find an app that is more profound and creative. But again anything more interactive sounds like a language class, and that’s a diffetent category all together.

1 Like

Apps are great because they are super convenient and if you have an extra 5-10 minutes on the subway, waiting or have time to kill… apps are a great way to take advantage of this “dead” time.

I use LingQ, LingoDeer, Anki, Duolingo and Hammer (great new SRS app) sort of interchangeablely for Japanese.

4 Likes

I like using them. Recently, I’ve been hooked on Mango Languages, it’s fun for me to use it. But for the most part, as the others above wrote, you’ll need more that just an app to learn and have practice.

1 Like

i’ve been told that lingodeer is a good option to learn asian languages, is that true?

3 Likes

Yes, I think it’s one of the better apps that actually has a solid learning system. I’ve been using it to learn Japanese for almost a year now.

1 Like

Great question!

I have had both good and bad experiences with language learning apps. I like Duolingo, Lingq, and Lingodeer. I have found them to be reliable and easy to use for a quick lesson. I agree that I would not use only an app by itself for learning an entire language, but I think that’s probably true of just about any langauge learning resource. I do find them helpful, though.

I have tried some other apps that I had less success with. Not all apps are of the same quality. Some apps I have tried have had significant language errors. For this reason, I would suggest evaluating the quality of the material before committing to a particular app.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think they serve a purpose and are a good toe-dip but do need to be supplemented and then retired from use as you progress.

Question though, I rarely see anyone speaking about their experience with the Mondly app. It was by far the best I found for Persian. Has anyone else used it and what are your thoughts?

3 Likes

i’ve nerver heard any opinion about mondly, but i’ve heard the name of the app,does this app have more languages apart from persian? :open_mouth:

i agree with you i’ve found a couple mistakes on “busuu” and “duo”, that’s why one must use them carefuly and together with other learning methods :slight_smile:

It sure does! I think there’s about 35+ languages now.

I’ve used Mondly for Romanian and it’s pretty darn good. I find that I don’t get as much from it in the way of conversational language, but it’s a great vocabulary builder. And Romanian isn’t a popular language in many other language apps.

2 Likes

I use a lot of different apps, but most all I use are for vocabulary. Duolingo, Drops, Mondly, Ling, Seedlang, Simply, Memrise. About half of my chosen apps are for Romanian, as it’s not a very popular choice for learning. And finding good learning content can be difficult. I am also starting to use Italki, but I haven’t had any lessons yet, so I am holding out on judgment.

2 Likes

Totally agree with you about finding resources for lesser-known languages. I feel that will Persian, too! iTalki is awesome, I think you’ll love it.

1 Like

I used Mondly for Vietnamese and it was ok for a few months. I bought premium even. However once you get past an A1 level, it got really repetitive.

1 Like

i think that most of us agree that once you got certain level, an app could turn repetitive, it doesn’t matter which language/app it’s about, wow, vietnamese looks like a hard challenge to me :slight_smile: where are you from? by the way

2 Likes

I’m living in Taipei but originally from the U.S.