What are your favourite online translators?

Linguee https://www.linguee.nl/

Reverso Voice Translator

1 Like

I have got an enormous pile of traditional paper dictionaries with German, Dutch and English as reference languages. They are sometimes a little bit dated, so if I need to check something which I cannot find in these many dictionaries, I use “Google Translate”.

I don’t normally use translators because the level of accuracy is usually quite low. I prefer to use dictionaries instead. I don’t quite like “Google Translate” as well, but for languages that I can’t find a good dictionary, I will settle for “Google Translate” instead.

3 Likes

In my experience the translators get better and better. They are certainly ways better than 5 years ago for more and more languages. You can give it a try. I translated posts in Chinese in this forum (by Google translate)- it makes perfectly sense. Maybe you can comment on the example. For the big European languages DeepL is even better.

我现在住在一个农村的小区,小镇中心还是有华人主人的商店和一家中餐饭馆。隔离之后我一直没法坐公交车去最近的大城市去中国超市买中国食品。所以我的酱油,豆瓣酱,等等已经用完了。我也找不到方便的网站会卖这些食品。所以今天和那个商店的老板说这件事情的时候,他推荐我去附近的饭馆问,如果他们方便也卖给我一些食品。
I now live in a rural community. In the center of the town, there are still shops owned by Chinese owners and a Chinese restaurant. After the quarantine, I have not been able to take the bus to the nearest big city and go to the Chinese supermarket to buy Chinese food. So my soy sauce, bean paste, etc. have been used up. I can’t find a convenient website that sells these foods. So when I talked about this with the owner of that shop today, he recommended me to a nearby restaurant and ask if they would sell me some food if it was convenient.

Hi Ron,
Thank you for sharing about DeepL.
Do you mean to say if I am learning French, DeepL would be the perfect translator?

Cheers,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Ivan. I use DeepL with European languages. The performance is convincing. I do not speak Asian languages. I am not able to assess that sufficiently. Maybe you can try DeepL with Chinese and share your experience here. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks Ron for your comments.

Just tried DeepL for Japanese. The translation is almost perfect. Way better than Google translate. I suspect that they have gotten human involved to correct the machine learning part too.

Thanks.It’s an excellent tool to help push my Japanese further up the fluency ladder.

1 Like

@ivany78
日英翻譯確實是不錯,但英日翻譯還是不太自然(感覺跟Google翻譯差不多),所以用到日文的話我覺得最好以日英翻譯為主。加油~

2 Likes

Thank you very much Takashi for your feedback. The translators seem to better with translations from Asian languages into European languages than the other way around.

非常感谢高志先生的反馈。从亚洲语言翻译成欧洲语言的译员似乎比其他方式更好。

Does it make sense in Chinese?

@Ron

Does it make sense in Chinese?

Der zweite Satz ist nicht ganz richtig übersetzt (und mein Name auch XD). Die Übersetzung heißt eher: “Die (menschlichen) Dolmetscher, die aus asiatischen Sprachen in europäische Sprachen übersetzen, sind anscheinend noch besser als andere Arten und Weisen.”

Also, man versteht schon, wenn man schon weiß, worum es geht, aber wenn man nur diesen Satz ohne Kontext liest, versteht man vielleicht anders als du eigentlich meinst.

1 Like

はい!分かりました!
日本語の練習時はとても便利です。

2 Likes

Be careful with DeepL for Japanese. As with any translator, it works considerably better with shorter texts than longer ones. The longer the text, the more likely it is to double sentences or skip sections all together.

That said, it is significantly more eloquent than Google Translate, and if I’m using an online translator, DeepL tends to be my go-to.

2 Likes

I use a lot Google Translate but it’s not reliable 100 percent. Also I use Reverso or Word Reference for context translation.

2 Likes

Reverso is my primary dictionary, translator and grammar tool. I use the premium version. It is little money for a valuable tool.

I mostly use Reverso Context and Google, double checking across the two. Don’t really work with large text translations so Linguee is not my daily driver, but I read that DeepL AI beats Google in many ways. It’ll be interesting to watch them compete in the future.

Oh, and SpanishDict comes in handy often when studying Español.

2 Likes

Context Reverso for contextual translations.

1 Like

Sometimes (depending on the language) Yandex.translate is the only choice. It supports many languages in Russia, such as Bashkir, Chuvash, Hill Mari and Yakut. Translation quality isn’t very good though…

For Korean, Japanese (and sometimes Mandarin), I’ve been using Papago a lot. (https://papago.naver.com/)
Since it’s Korean, the translations into (and from) Korean are probably the best, but the Japanese is also quite top-notch. Combined with the aforementioned DeepL, it’s even better.

4 Likes