Thread for introduction sessions to your language

Thank you for teaching us about Japan! It was really interesting and I learned a lot.

1 Like

There is another one at 8pm later? Great! I woke up late this morning and missed the morning session. Will attend the one tonight then! :grinning:

2 Likes

I can revamp my discussion of the relations between Balinese language and music/dance practice - it was quite well-received the first time I did it during the conference, and I’d be willing to do it again.

Hi everyone, I’m going to give another introduction session to Japanese culture and language in an hour from now, in the Zaloa room. See you soon!

3 Likes

Thank you @Sachi for the informative session on Japanese culture and language! ありがとうございました。

2 Likes

Thank you @Sachi-san for the fun and informative session! Hope I can visit Japan again soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you soooo much for a lovely presentation @Sachi -san. I enjoyed it a lot! Domo arigato gozaimashita!
:pray: :slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you @Sachi It was really interesting and fun !!

1 Like

サチさん、ありがとうございました。勉強になりました ^^

@ecluna77
Full answer to your question about keigo (reference/addressee):

Situation: You are telling your co-worker (who you usually don’t use keigo to) that a client will come to visit your company soon:

お客様 (= “client”/honorific) がもうすぐいらっしゃる (= “to come”/honorific) から部屋を準備してくれる?
(“Our client will come soon so can you prepare a room?”)

In this sentence, only the words referring to the client (the noun “client” and the verb “come”) are honorific and the style of the whole sentence is neutral.

However, in a less formal atmosphere, we often don’t use a honorific verb for the reference:

お客様 (= “client”/honorific) がもうすぐ来る (= “to come”/non-honorific) から部屋を準備してくれる?
(“Our client will come soon so can you prepare a room?”)

3 Likes

Thank you for repeating your information when I was late to the presentation. I look forward to speaking again.

1 Like

Hopefully we can have these culture and language sharing sessions more often by different people from different countries!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
For those who couldn’t make it last week, I’m going to give another introduction session to Japanese culture and language this weekend.

I’m still figuring out the time that works for most of us, but probably tomorrow (Saturday at 10pm in Japan / 1pm in the UK)?
Please let me know if that doesn’t work for you.
@Kai @Xiang @liaands @Dhinny @Redvers

4 Likes

That’s okay for me! :+1: :+1:

maybe someone is interested in listening to make talk about Ecuador Quito and the Kichwa influence plus our interesting political culture

6 Likes

Yes, I would be interested in hearing more about this.

I would be interested, too.

I just saw this thread. I have a language which I’d like to pitch to everyone, and get more learners for it! That language is Classical Syriac (From A.D. 4th to 8th cc.) and its daughter languages, Eastern and Western Neo-Aramaic.

Why is this language cool? Because it was the prestige language of Western Asia, which lent many influences to Modern Hebrew orthography, and even Arabic. It will help you to organize your Semitic languages in your head.

I will discuss it for an hour on Saturday November 7, in the Multilingual World Room on Saturday 10:00 New York time, 15:00 UTC, 18:00 Syria/Moscow time, 23:00 Beijing time

5 Likes

I’m interested in Kichwa, too.

Hi everyone, I’m going to give an introduction session to Japanese culture and language in an hour from now.
Let’s meet up in the Earth room (Multilingual world).
See you soon!
@Kai @Xiang @liaands @Dhinny

2 Likes

well I dont really speak it but I know for a fact that many words that we use in the Quito dialect are from Kichwa and not really understood anywhere else outside of that.

2 Likes