Tatoeba - a good way to learn languages and help people

Hi there, everyone!

First of all, I’d like to apologize. I’m still studying English, reading stuff, etc but for sure I’ll commit a mistake (or some mistakes). Please, do not be afraid to point them out on the comments

I’d like to share an awesome website with you all: Tatoeba - Collection of sentences and translations

What’s that for?

Tatoeba is a community in which people add sentences and translations in from into any language they know. So yes, there are English sentences, Italian sentences, Portuguese, French, Finnish, Luxembourgish, Rapa Nui, Arabic, Japanese… 380 languages and everyone can ask to support even more languages.
and more:

There are English sentences translated into Turkish, German, Russian, Kabyle, Romanian, Gronings… French sentences translated into Arabic, English, Polish, Belarusian, Central Dusun… Everything is possible

How is that “build” (created)?

By volunteers that add/translate sentences and proofread them. It means that if you post a sentence (or a translation), everyone is “watching out” it to make sure if it misses punctuation, if it doesn’t sound natural, if a verb is conjugated correctly, etc

How many sentences are out there?

As for today +8,100,000 sentences (and counting). People contribute every day.

Can I use those sentences (even sentences created from other members)?

You can even download them. For free! That’s the best part! It’s built to make sure that everyone will be able to use and reuse their data (you just may have to credit to Tatoeba and/or to the user who posted the sentence(s))

How to say “I love you.” in many sentences

That page explains better what Tatoeba is and works - What is Tatoeba?

That’s it. You can ask me anything you want. I hope to see you all in there :smiley:

11 Likes

This sounds like a very interesting website. I’ll give it a little look-see. I like the idea of community driven translations.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. Are the sentenced used in the the application Clozemaster based on Tatoeba?

2 Likes

That’s right!

Its database (Tatoeba) can be used everywhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found even 25.293 sentences in Interlingua. Interesting source and worth to explore further.

1 Like

People keep adding every day. You can request langages and you cn also add translations :smiley:

1 Like

Wow. That’s awesome! I can’t wait to visit the site. Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I had seen Tatoeba cited as a source for examples at some Japanese reference sites that use it, but didn’t realize it was a database of examples for so many other languages as well. It looks like a potential way to get a wider variety of examples than just from dictionaries that provide a few examples or find some on the internet that are not always relevant to your needs.

1 Like