Strategies for Slavic languages

Any special secrets to learning Slavic languages? I just started learning Ukrainian and can use all the help and advice I can get. If anyone wants to meet up to talk about it I would be happy to, or you can just respond here. Thanks!

1 Like

What’s up Grant!

Well, I have yet to try to learn Ukrainian, but since it’s a language with a different alphabet, I would try to learn the Cyrillic alphabet and try to get used to reading in it. Get to learning basic vocabulary and important phrases, including words that you use often in English, including irregular verbs, common adjectives, etc. Regarding the ill-famed noun case system, some of the common ones to use are the accusative case (direct object), and genitive case (possession), and you can slowly try to study these, but focus more on vocab to be able to communicate.

When I started learning Russian, my first Slavic language, my biggest mistake was to focus too much on the grammar and cases, and although it was important, it distracted me from learning more words to speak and use them, so then I felt discouraged, but I’ll getting back to it very slowly.

3 Likes

Thanks Miguel. It’s good to know that I don’t have to learn the cases immediately.

Hi Grant!

Just had a look at some potential resources (with audio and phrase/sentence based) you might want to check out in addition to Duolingo:

A few interesting Ukrainian learning blogs:

https://www.studyukrainian.com/blog/2018/09/15/how-to-learn-ukrainian-online/

Youtube:

Several interesting basic resources if you type in ‘learn Ukranian’, good for listening practice in 3-5-minute mini-sessions throughout the day and for getting used to the language in a gradual way.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on!

1 Like

Hi Ron. Thank you, this is very helpful. New resources are great to find when you are learning any language, especially when it is a language like Ukrainian. Thank you.

1 Like

@Grant
In my opinion it’s better to learn/understand at least how cases work because they are important parts of the language. However, it’s not necessary to master all correct case forms in the beginner level. You can do it slowly while learning other things. Also, when you practise your speaking, please don’t care much about correct forms because otherwise you can’t speak smoothly. I personally really cared about the correctness only when I wrote something (with enough time to think of the grammar). When I spoke, I just let my mouth say as it likes :smiley:

2 Likes

@Takashi Thanks! I don’t plan to learn much about the cases early on but I’ll be sure to look into them a little. Thanks again

Grant, if you want to take your Ukranian further, it might be an idea to get in touch with @Serhiy, who is also on this forum, as I think he teaches Ukranian, among other things. :slight_smile: