Sara Maria in Beijing! Who here works (or wants to work) in the language industry?

I’m an American living in Beijing, running a language tech company called Meridian Linguistics (language data for AI). On the side I create content as “misslinguistic”. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you want to swap language learning tips or talk about entrepreneurship, language technology, or the languages of Asia!

18 Likes

Undoubtedly! I speak 12 languages but not a single Asian language. (Well, I speak Hebrew, but I mean, not a Far Eastern language). So I’m interested!

1 Like

Hey Sara! I’m Sijia from China, digital nomading-ish as a web dev and technical translator but just got back home a while ago. I’ll be in Beijing in November. Would love to grab a coffee with you some time and talk about language tech and other stuff!

1 Like

Hey Sara! I’m an American living in Russia (usually, but COVID messed that up). I’m a linguist doing descriptive fieldwork in the Caucasus mountains, but I am actually very involved in language technology. I run a new institute www.xri.institute (website is limited right now) which is currently building machine translation systems for several low/zero resource languages. We should definitely keep up!

Hi Sara,
I am an angel investor, keen to now more about the work that you are doing with AI and languages.
With a background in engineering, I self-taught myself the basics of AI to build my own AI to learn French but I found that I am not very keen in the engineering part of it; taking time from actually learning the language.
What more there are lots of good tools out there.

Hear from you soon.
Cheers,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi Sara Maria! Coincidentally I just listen to the Fluent Show podcast with you and Kerstin yesterday. It was fascinating and I learned a lot.

I thought I saw a mention on your business website that Vietnamese-to-English is a language pair that is difficult to find native translators. I’m learning Vietnamese now, and although I’m far from ready, I would be interesting in learning about a path to translating when my Vietnamese skills have improved.

Awesome!! I’ve always wanted to learn Hebrew. Someday!

Hi Sijia would be great to connect! I’ve added you on LinkedIn.

1 Like

Hi Dr. Dan, that sounds fascinating, I’ve very interested in the languages of the Caucasus (especially since many of them are related to languages found in China). Add me on LinkedIn and let’s chat more!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sara-maria-hasbun/

1 Like

Hi Ivan, I’d love to chat more! Add me on LinkedIn?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sara-maria-hasbun/

Hi Gina, I’m glad you liked the podcast! It is great that you are on the path to becoming a Vietnamese to English translator, it is very much in demand. If you have any more questions, happy to answer them - feel free to reach out on LinkedIn or Instagram (misslinguistic) or Twitter (mslinguistic)!

1 Like

Awesome! My personal blog is misslinguistic.com, IG: misslinguistic, Twitter: mslinguistic. You can also follow my company on LinkedIn (Meridian Linguistics). Happy to answer any questions!

3 Likes

Hi Sara,
I have just sent you an invitation.
Cheers,
Ivan

I sent you a connect invite. I look forward to connecting further!