Resources for African Languages

Itโ€™s very difficult to find African language learners nowadays and resources are scarce too. I am self learning Swahili now and is considering learning Xhosa soon. I can hardly find any resources for both languages, especially Xhosa. Does anybody have any recommendations? It will be of great help if someone can help me. Thank you in advance! :pray:t2: :pray:t2: :pray:t2:

5 Likes

Bluebird has the languages of RSA Zulu, Xhosa, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Afrikaans and various other African languages: Hausa, Amharic, Oromo, Yoruba, Tigrinya, Somali, Swahili https://apps.apple.com/nl/app/bluebird-leer-163-talen/id1484286928

3 Likes

YES!!! I am learning Swahili and there are many hidden gems!!! A nice start is COLLOQUIAL SWAHILI which uses story learning, authentic real-world conversations and audio and written exercises for practice. These materials are available for free on line. If you like a more structured approach with a focus on grammar try 2SEEDSSWAHILI . Their materials are also available for free on line and include audio files.https://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/culturetalk/Tanzania is filled with cultural information in spoken swahili and comes with transcripts in Swahili and English. THere is also Pimsleur Swahili Level 1 . See the Language Transfer App and choose Swahili for Pimsleur like Swahili practice that allows for improvements in grammar without teaching grammar directly. There is so much out there. This is just the tip of the iceburg. There is something for every language learning style. Keep searching

4 Likes

Sawubona Jinhyoung! That is hallo Jinhyoung, in isiZulu. I would be glad to help you with resources for African languages. I have an online isiZulu course that I have to offer. Did you know that isiZulu and isiXhosa share four fifths of their vocabulary, both being from the Nguni family of languages? Here is the link to my course if you are interested: http://isizulu101.co.za Great meeting you! Ube nosuku oluhle! / Have a great day! John_FK Mulder PS. I must add that it is a paid online course - I do this for a living.

1 Like

Just today I noticed that the Language Transfer app has Swahili on it. Memrise has some Swahili courses also, and a list of other African languages.

Sawubona Johan! Ek leer afrikaans en ek wens daar was 'n kursus soos joune vir afrikaans! Ek leer self en ek mis die struktuur en interaksie van 'n kursusโ€ฆ weet jy as daar bestaan enige iets aanlyn vir afrikaans? Ook betalende kursusse want in my opinie - soms kry 'n mens waarvoor hy betaal! Baie dankie :wink:

2 Likes

There are some online classes for African languages with www.lingua54.com .
You can also find some resources from the IG of @learn_african_languages

Iโ€™m starting Swahili too! But I havenโ€™t yet decided on which resource I will use mostly. Just started a Duolingo tree for now and taking notes from it. Message me if you want to practice your Swahili with me!

1 Like

Iโ€™m Swahili native speaker from Zanzibar, Tanzania. Feel free to ask me anything about Swahili