Less commonly-spoken (and less commonly-studied) languages

Hi everyone?

Are there any of you learning less common-studied languages with limited resources? I’ll give some examples: I’m currently learning Navajo, Warlpiri and Malagasy - partly for work purposes and partly out of my own curiosity :wink:

I know some of you are learning very diverses languages like Lakhota, Uyghur, Ladino, Ainu and Hausa, which is great!

Feel free to share if you’re a learning a less-commonly studied language or dialect!

11 Likes

The replies to this topic might be of interest to you:

5 Likes

Currently working on Tsez (iso: ddo) which is an endangered language in the Caucasus Mountains. There are very few resources, so I have to create most of what I’m using.

8 Likes

Oh thanks! I missed that thread somehow!

Trying to improve my Ladino, I can speak it but there is no one I can talk with.

3 Likes

Kero dizirvos una koza. En el foro Ladinokomunita (en antes en los grupos de Yahoo, agora en groups.io) te vas atopar kon una komunita avlante de djudezmo. En buena ora ke estesh haver!

1 Like

My native language is Danish. All of the other languages I speak are quite common though. I have considered learning some smaller languages, such as Afrikaans, but I haven’t as of yet.

2 Likes

I am interested in Papiamento. Makes you dream of a holiday in the Caribbean.

6 Likes

Lekker jy oorweeg om Afrikaans te leer.

Qu’est-ce qu’une petite langue? La moitié des 7000 langues connues seraient parlées par moins de 10 000 personnes. Dans cette perspective, l’islandais est une langue plus grande. Je ne dirais pas que l’afrikaans avec 10 millions de locuteurs est une petite langue.

Wat is 'n klein taal? Die helfte van die 7000 bekende tale word gesê dat dit deur minder as 10.000 mense gepraat word. In hierdie perspektief is Yslands 'n groter taal. Ek sou nie sê dat Afrikaans met 10 miljoen sprekers 'n klein taal is nie.

3 Likes

Some years back I studied Tzotzil a bit (I’m not actively studying it now, but I would if I had all the time!). I think it was really eye-opening for me in terms of realizing some of the things languages can do, beyond what I’d seen in Indo-European ones.
As far as resources, I’ve found some useful things here: http://www.language-archives.org/
And for Latin American languages: https://ailla.utexas.org/

3 Likes

Oh, I looked at Tzotzil ages ago! Back when I went through a Mayan phase !

1 Like

I’m learning kurdish dialects etc: kurmancî, Sorani, and Zazakî (whether this is a Kurdish dialect or a separate language is a hotly disputed hot potato, about which I listen to people’s opinions but don’t express my own,)

4 Likes

Tiang sedek malajah basa Bali - makelone 15 tiban mangkin! Yening wenten jerone sane kayun wiwit malajah basa Bali taler, tiang jagi ngawentenang workshop yening konferensi niki sampun wiwit.

[I’ve been studying Balinese - for about 15 years now! If there’s anyone who wants to begin studying Balinese as well, I will be hosting a (Zoom video) workshop when this conference begins.]

1 Like

Not often I hear someone mentioning Walpiri - although admittedly it is one of our more well known Indigenous Languages.

I haven’t quite gone to that extent yet (although I have looked at the materials in Walpiri). I’ve studied a bit of Icelandic, Macedonian and now Georgian, and the materials have all been a bit thin on the ground for those, but not as thin as Walpiri. We studied Kuku Yulanji last semester in our Linguistics course - not much on that, probably similar to Walpiri, but the materials are more recent for Kuku Yulanji.

I like the idea of a lot of lesser studied languages. Occitan, some of the Italian languages (and any sign language) interests me :slight_smile: Faroese… Frisian… they all take my fancy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OK, the minute I read the “Tiang sedek…” part I was thinking “That’s Balinese!” Probably one of the few Austronesian languages where the casual first person singular pronoun isn’t directly derived from “*aku” (although there might be some dialects where reflexes of “aku” is preserved?)

Amazing, I’m looking forward to your workshop :slight_smile:

I don’t study any less common-learned languages yet as my main focus at the moment is Mandarin Chinese, but I’ve always been interested in learning Dutch I also thought about learning Frisian at some point (living almost at the border to the Netherlands is one of the main motives here :grin: ).
However, I haven’t found too many sources on it yet, but I also haven’t looked too closely… So let’s see how that goes when I actually start learning!

2 Likes

Hi nicky🙂
Where are you from ,
Your mother tonge is kurdish or not ?

Hey there,

I have learned to speak Miskito at a high intermediate / low advanced level. It’s an indigenous language spoken on the eastern coasts of Honduras and Nicaragua. I am a missionary at an orphanage here in Honduras. I’ve lived here since almost three years ago. I learned it with the people. I would say “como se dice esto”? then I’d write down what they say. The verbs all follow a pattern. It’s distinct from any of the other languages I speak. The sentence structure is inverted. It’s a unique language. I really like it!

5 Likes

I’m trying to get a Warlpiri friend to co-present a Topic Room talk with me sometime next week, will introduce him on the forums :slight_smile:

Kuku Yalanji? Oh wow, that’s Cathy Freeman’s ancestral language if I’m not mistaken :slight_smile:

Georgian is one of my favourite languages, but the grammar is such a challenge!

2 Likes

Hi Sara. I’m English, living innAlbania. My mother tongue is English. How about you?

1 Like