Learning languages without many study materials available

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion and hopefully learn from all of you how to approach learning languages without many (any) study materials available.

To set the scene - I am studying Tagalog at the moment and there is sooooooo little content in that language at upper beginner / lower intermediate level! All that exists is either extremely basic beginner stuff (where most of the content is in English) or native level material with a lot of slang (think funny comedian stuff). There is of course news and official TV programs, but that’s again, just a niche that is at the upper levels of learning.

Generalising for other ‘small’ languages, there is just not enough comprehensible input at (lower) intermediate level. No audio books, no subtitles, no comics, no thriving online communities
 You know what I mean, right?

So the question is - how to approach learning such languages? Is it more about creating your own content (in which case what are the common tools)? Or the only (obvious) way is to learn directly from a native speaker through a large volume of interaction (just like children learn)?

Please share your views and ideas! There are no wrong ways of doing it, just many tools in the toolbox that can be mastered and used when appropriate.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Interesting and very relevant topic!

I think there is a beautiful intersection between field linguistics and language learning when it comes to underresearched, underdocumented, underinstitutionalised languages.

Some linguists (myself and my supervisor included) use the so-called Monolingual Method to document indigenous languages for which there are no previous materials, as we are the first ones to create materials to start with.

Basically you use the language to learn the language. In my experience this enhances the learning process itself. I’ve learned indigenous languages that are typologically very distant from my native language way faster and more efficiently than I have learnt languages with the best materials, such as German for which pedagogical materials are based on the oldest and most robust research tradition on second language teaching worldwide.

Hope this resonates with others.

Manu

4 Likes

I have had a bit of a struggle with finding materials for learning Kazakh, I have been using mainly news sites to get authentic content to study. Also check out these websites for lots of short transcribed texts in many languages - https://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/ and https://gloss.dliflc.edu/ . I believe both sites have texts in Tagalog.

Also I started looking for Kazakh learning materials written in Russian, and it seems like there is more available there. You might be able to do the same for Tagalog.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Thanks @Manu!

I love the “using the language to learn the language” idea. I have researched a bit about the TPR (Total Physical Response) method in the past and even tried it out on my non-Russian-speaking son. Works wonders, but
 it puts most of the heavy lifting on a teacher. Basically, the effectiveness of the method is proportionate to how good the teacher is. What is interesting about the Monolingual Method you mentioned, is that (it sounds like) it’s up to the student to direct the learning.

Are there any resources on the method itself you can recommend? I have heard some anecdotal accounts on how a method like that would work, but never came across anything that describes it reasonably well.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks for the links, @Ewan! Gloss looks promising!

Agree with you that getting into authentic native content ASAP is the way to go, but not for everyone :slightly_smiling_face: - super high risk of overwhelm, burnout, etc
 I have read about people that can somehow deal with that sort of ‘mass language overload’ (e.g. Listening-Reading method), but I would lose my marbles very fast :rofl:

Yeah that’s true, the good thing with these texts is that they are very short, good for listening many times over. Often I only I understood only a few words on the first reading but read and listened many times until I almost knew them by heart. If they were any longer than a few minutes I would get discouraged easily though

The Monolingual Method is attributed to Ken Pike who was an amazing polyglot and even better linguist. Of course, this is something that other scholars have done before, whether in Ancient Sulawesi or Ancient Greece. More importantly, this is a language-learning strategy that indigenous people themselves just naturally do, as documented by Sorensen (1967) for the Amazonian Vaupes, where your average person speaks 8-9 languages because of social practices surrounding communication with the outgroup. It has been noted in many parts of the world (PNG, my region in Southwestern China, etc).

Unfortunately there is not a principled research paradigm on how best to do it, although there are some scattered academic papers on the matter (https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/linguistic-fieldwork/monolingual-field-research/CE3CDD4CDC1E2A95F5A8E7BB172A8CC7)

There is a documentary linguist in the USA, Dan Everett, who famously documented the Piraha language monolingually. He is very adamant about the beauty and usefulness of the Monolingual Method, and he does demos on how he does it as you can see in this free Youtube video:

I have a project of systematising this and writing a book on it. For now I am only in the planning phase. Will hopefully deliver a set of workshops on this at the Australian National University next year.

Hope this helps,

Manu

8 Likes

I learned Hungarian by immersion, talking with many people and later on reading books (without understanding much in the beginning). So I’m convinced it works. The thing you might do is asking native speakers something, maybe the same question for several persons, and see their different answers. And of course try to react.
Of course, everything depends on personality, too. I love collecting things, and the fewer material there is out there the more valuable each little piece gets. I think it would increase my motivation. For Hungarian of course, it was the opposite, I had more input than I felt I could cope with.
A friend of mine learned German just by watching series. She looked up a few words she thought she had understood (without subtitles!), and from episode to episode she got better in understanding the content. She was very enthusiastic about this series, and I think this is an important factor. I haven’t tried this method yet, but it does work for her, her German is quite impressive.

5 Likes

Loved that video, thanks a lot for sharing it. My life might have become quite different if I had seen it when I was a university student.

2 Likes

This is a great demo, @Manu!

My biggest takeaway from this discussion so far and the most important difference with what I am doing now is the required mindset change. To successfully learn (or acquire in this case is more appropriate?) a language with limited / non-existing resources needs a mindset of discovery, not consumerism. Looking back at how I studied languages so far, I expected it to be delivered to me all nicely packed in an appetising package. But now I see so much appeal in discovering my new language bit by bit, slowly collecting the pieces and combining them into small islands of fluency (not my term, I believe I heard it first from Chris Lonsdale), then connecting these islands with bridges into a network

This brings me to another thought that there must be way to go through this process in an efficient way. Granted that some ‘wondering around’ is part of the discovery, but I am sure an experienced ‘explorer’ would know what pieces to collect first and how to make the islands bigger and closer to each other
 What I understood from this video is that it’s important to learn / identify the language building tools (questions, pronouns, etc.) aiming at helping to build the rest of the language as early as possible.

Does anyone have any other examples of activities, tools, hacks, etc. that would help to build this ‘linguistic scaffolding’?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time and watching.
The main thing to be said is that Dan Everett is a profesional linguist. That means that he is trained to know all the kinds of things that the world’s languages can do and how to identify them, predict them on the basis of already collected data, and nest them within their respective places in the linguistic systems.

To me an in-depth technical understanding of Linguistic Typology on the one hand and monolingual language learning on the other are deeply intertwined. But that’s because I am a trained field linguist. While I am not sure all of that is necessarily helpful for a language learner, if one loves languages I don’t see any reason not to learn some linguistics. It can certainly never harm.

In my book that I am planning to eventually write I expect to sort out which aspects of the MM are most useful for the general public or say, anthropologists who don’t necessarily know a lot about linguistic structure but still need to learn their field languages quickly and efficiently to investigate social structures.

M

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @Heidi!

In the past I could never understand how it’s possible to “talk with many people” when one is at level zero in a language, but I am coming to realisation that these ‘conversations’ are more like the demo in the video shared by @Manu
 It all makes sense now - I can have (in theory) hours of interaction of this type and it’s only limited by my motivation and the availability of the native speakers willing to speak ‘baby language’ with me.

Intrigued by your example about learning a language through watching a series (I have read similar stories like this before, mostly about reading and listening though, e.g. Listening-Reading or The Norsk Experiment). Again, it didn’t make sense to me in the past, but I can now see how these methods are in a way similar to the Monolingual Method (esp. The Norsk Experiment story
). It does take a very special mindset to pull things like that off, though :wink:

3 Likes

Does anyone have any other examples of activities, tools, hacks, etc. that would help to build this ‘linguistic scaffolding’?

My suggestion would be to read as much as you can about linguistic typology (how languages differ). Depending on your tolerance for theory-heavy linguistic jargon, there are different levels on which you can approach it - from reading handbooks and scientific articles on various topics to consulting World Atlas of Linguistic Structures (wals.info - great resource) to following up Wikipedia links (“Austronesian alignment” is a possible starting point for you, reading it in Tagalog shouldn’t be too difficult) to whatever else works for you.

A possible “gentle” approach would be to take a look at the collective wisdom of the conlangers. People who construct languages for fun tend to know quite a lot about real-world language diversity without being too ‘academic’ about it. Zompist Bulletin Board (I think it’s called ‘Incatena’ now) was particularly useful for me back in the day (you may also want to check Mark Rosenfelder’s aka “zompist” other writing too - it’s very clear and readable)

The key point, though, is knowing what you need Tagalog for. Find some stuff (a book, a movie, a comedy skit) that you really want to understand and start small. Memorize a scene and see if you can analyze it (ie. understand how the language works), then look for similar patterns elsewhere.

Play, experiment, test your assumptions about how this language works, let the native speakers laugh at you (and laugh with them). It’s going to be a bit messy - enjoy!

[btw, language ‘in the wild’ is always messy, which is why it is so difficult to move beyond textbooks/classes/set curricula]

6 Likes

Thanks @PiotrK! Super inpirational! :muscle:

I think it also depends on the language. I think you can start understanding Norwegian after some time reading it a lot, if you know English and German. It wouldn’t work for a completely different language, I think. For me in Hungarian it worked because people were willing to make me understand and because I got clues from the environment.
But I think the point is that nothing is impossible, if you are determined to learn a certain language, not even lack of material.
And I think you can find native speakers who are willing to speak baby language with you, if they are learning your language and are happy to have you as a patient language partner.

3 Likes