Languages & love

Who else on here learned or is learning a language for love? :cupid:
For me, it was Polish and now we’re raising our 2 kids using ml@h (minority language at home). I only knew 2 words before I met him. Tell us your language love story :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s the reverse for me. I started learning Russian for a few months and before I know it I dated a monolingual lady who speaks only Russian. It was a very short relationship though but the impact on my language learning was huge, so I didn’t lose anything.

2 Likes

Hi there,
I started learning German when my girlfriend moved to Austria for studies and work. Now we live together in Vienna:) I started studying on my own some years ago and last January I wanted to assess my level so I took a B2 exam which I passed easily. I have been learning the language like playing a game without a certain plan or consistency, watching youtube videos listening to music, using Duolingo, and visiting Vienna until I finally also moved in. I did take an intensive 1-month preparation course for the B2 exams though.

3 Likes

I will tell you a story.

I’m Jewish, from Buenos Aires, Argentina, my great-grandparents were from Poland and Ukraine. However, I had always curiosity for the others culture. I remember in 2002 when I learned Catalan in six weeks thanks to a friend of mine who have struggling to write to me correctly in Spanish. But this was the entry to an amazing language, and an amazing culture.

I remember when I befriended a Basque girl in a forum, in 2003, that friendship became enough close to chat with her everyday for three years. I learned Basque in three years. And I’m not Basque. Only by chat and by the will of loving another person.

3 Likes

Yes! I started studying Galician because of the love of my life. It all started when I visited him during his Erasmus in Karlstad (Sweden) in March 2017. It was the first time that I saw him in person and we decided to teach each other’s mother tongues during the week I was there (I taught him Catalan and he taught me Galician) and we were having conversations in those languages. We have continued this tradition until today. Two Spanish people meeting in person for the first time in Sweden and talking to each other in their regional languages… So random I can’t still believe it! hahahah

6 Likes

Wow fantastic results :clap:

Wow I’ve heard that Basque is very challenging since it’s unrelated to any other language. I lived with a Basque girl in France and loved hearing her speak it

1 Like

That is amazing on so many levels!

Maybe she’s my teacher! Her name is Iratxe.

Cześć Heather!

That’s so lovely to hear! Especially as Polish is my mother tongue :innocent:

I have a counter-example to it - my ex-boyfriend (who was by far not a language enthousiast in the classical sense) started learning Polish in order to dive into the culture and to be able to communicate with my family who is partly monolingual. The great thing was that despite the tricky grammar and pronunciation he really seemed to enjoy discovering the language!

Unfortunately, our relationship did not last but I have to say that this was probably the most loving thing someone did for me.

It shows so much more than just affection, it is a proof of true interest in your beloved one’s identity and cultural roots!

Therefore: Spread all the love and learn all the languages, everyone! :heart:

4 Likes

My friend is named Ainara :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a lovely story Dominika :two_hearts: I’m sorry it didn’t work out with you two.
It makes me realize how sweet my husband’s interest in French is/was. He started taking classes when I was living in France.
Pozdrawiam!

I just started seeing a guy from Pakistan and I’ve been asking people on Tandem (language exchange app) to teach me some Urdu phrases so that I can surprise him and I’m really excited about it!

I find it a bit tricky since I have zero experience with Urdu and the roman transliteration does not reflect the sound very well.
Apparently “Mien be” which means “me too” is pronounced something like /mɛ bi:/, which isn’t very intuitive… Thank goodness for voice messages!

2 Likes