Language Podcasts

Does anyone else like listening to fellow language enthusiasts in podcasts? Which ones do you like? Maybe, have you thought about wanting to do a podcast yourself? :thinking:

I don’t really follow any language enthusiasts. I probably should. I listen to podcasts from creators in my chosen languages for listening practice. Does anyone have any recommendations for language discussion based podcasts?

For a while, I have been listen to a few podcasts in different languages. I have been listening to

• Lingoholics Podcasts: 3 guys based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, that talk about language stories and experiences

• Language Chats: 2 ladies based in Melbourne, Australia, that also talk about language experiences

• Diversilingua (Brazilian Portuguese) : it features a guy from Fortaleza, and a lady from Rio De Janeiro, and they chat about various subjects related to languages

• Let’s Talk Languages: this one is pretty new, with an American polyglot and Korean polyglot

5 Likes

It’s funny I should come across this discussion as I’m indeed thinking about starting a podcast for my mother tongue learners since Steve Kaufman mentioned in his talk that there’s a lack of intermediate level materials. I don’t know though. Do you, guys, think there is? And what do you even get from such podcasts? @MultilingualBronxite do you find every podcast you mentioned valuable? Because I usually listen to podcasts in a target language (same as Tiffany).

3 Likes

I follow Paul on “langfocus” via YouTube. He presents information about various languages and compares languages in his podcasts.

3 Likes

Hi Helena! Yeah, go for it! You can make a podcast as well.

I think that the availability of intermediate level materials depends on the language you’re learning. The more common the language, the bigger odds of there being intermediate level material.

Everyone on this list has similar or different reasons for creating their podcasts. The first 3 podcasts do their podcasts to share stories, experiences, and do interviews with friends or other people in the language community. The last one is new, and it seems that they will be discussion different aspects of language learning. I listen in order to learn from their experiences in some of the topics that they speak about, and some of the interviewees are people that are talking about events that they are promoting (i.e. Poliglotar / Women In Language). The Diversilingua podcast is one podcast that is in one of my target languages, so that’s one reason I listen to it.

Hi Miguel,
Thanks for your Podcasts suggestions! They sound interesting! I’ll check them out!
I listen to “The Splendid Table” with Francis Lam - NY Times magazine columnist, and I simply love it! Because apart from languages I love food!! So I get ideas to keep up my cooking and baking!! :slight_smile:
Best,
Carmen

Hi Miguel,
Yes! I did one during the lockdown! “The English that your English teacher never taught you” that can be found on iVoox :smiley:
Carmen

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m late to this conversation, but I host a podcast about bilingualism and raising bilingual children. It’s called “The Future is Bilingual” and it’s on Apple, Spotify, Google, etc. It’s a mix of interviews, discussions with my co-host, and solo episodes. I only started it last Nov. so I’m still building it up.

I also like listening to podcasts about languages and for language learning. A few in English I like are “I will teach you a language”, “America the bilingual”, “Lingthusiasm”, and “Let’s talk languages” (which @MultilingualBronxite mentioned)
For French, I just found “Impolyglot”.

2 Likes

I listen to Lexicon Valley and Lingthusiasm