LangFest Activities (including uTalk Quiz!)

See you at the next uTalk quiz in just over an hour in the Sun room! In case you missed it, here’s my favourite question from yesterday :smiley:

2 Likes

We’ve just started the Easy Round of our uTalk quiz! Come join us in Fun in the Sun - you can still join the Intermediate/Difficult Rounds before they start! :smile:

Here’s today’s leaderboards for you all:

Despite some minor technical issues :sweat_smile: we still had a great session! Congratulations to Suzano, Miguel, joanna, Ewan, Alexander, Ai and the mysterious Podium Dweller :smirk: for making it into the top three in each round. Don’t forget to claim your prizes! :partying_face:

Just as a reminder, tomorrow will be our final late session taking place in Fun in the Sun at 17:00 EST / 22:00 BST / 06:00 (+1) JST. Make sure you come along to throw your score into the ring! Here’s the scores you have to beat:

Gura math thèid leibh! Chì mi thu a-màireach!

1 Like

Here’s today’s leaderboards - congrats to @hoopstats, @CHALO, I speak Acrylic, Alex The, Ai :bath:, Miguel, bathtub (Joanna), Anikó, and Takashi!

Make sure you all go to tomorrow’s quiz! It’s at 09:00 EST / 14:00 BST / 22:00 JST and it’s our final one!!! Get ready for some tricky questions! :muscle: Good luck!

2 Likes

And so the time has come. IT’S THE FINAL ROUND!!!

Special guest commentators: Richard Simcott and Kevin Fei Sun (reigning #uTalkQuiz Champion!)

Come play your heart out!!

Time: Oct 24, 9 AM Montreal / 2 PM London / 10 PM Tokyo

@polyglotconference
@KevinSun
@charlottee
@Emily
@Nicolas
@SabCM
@RichardHoweson

2 Likes

Can’t wait! Today the questions won’t be as easy as this one from yesterday… :smiley:

These quizzes have been great fun, thank you all so much for running them. I’ve learnt a lot, even got into the top 10 a handful of times (which felt like quite an achievement given the standard of the others taking part), though I’ve been doing worse and worse as the week has gone on, probably because I haven’t watched enough of the presentations, which some of the questions are based on.

There’s been a good mix of questions - some require specific language knowledge, others can be guessed using geographical or historical knowledge and you always learn something new. So I’d really encourage anyone who hasn’t had a go yet to go along to today’s quiz before it’s too late!

6 Likes

Time for our FINAL leaderboards (it’s all over :sob: ).

First of all, thanks to anyone and everyone who’s shown up the last eight days - you’ve all done so well! And that goes doubly so if you managed to make it through even a single question of today’s quiz :joy: because it was a tough one!

So without further ado, here’s today’s leaderboards:

Congratulations to Alex The, Katie, covfefe, Jinyoung, you, and Kevin killed me. (If I’ve repeated someone more than once, oops! You’ve all got such creative names lmao.)

Aaaaaaaaand, this is our overall leaderboard - so these are the highest ten scores out of every round that’s taken place since we started. Our overall winners have managed to snatch up some very cool prizes (tickets to the event in Cholula next year, as well as access to the uTalk app)… so if you didn’t make it to the top this time, maybe start preparing for next time? :wink:

Big, big congrats to HôteldPolyglots (Phil), Alex T, and Joanna - we hope you enjoy your prizes!!

Look forward to seeing people in Cholula next year and enjoy the rest of the conference!

9 Likes

Thank you for organizing all these great activities!! It was a pleasure sharing the fun with everyone!

Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Zeina

2 Likes

I thought it would be best if we counted the average per participant. No matter how many days we play, the better we play the higher our average would be. I had been extremely curious about the consistency of our fellow participants. Thanks again, the whole experience was amazing!

1 Like

(sorry, deleted because I messed up typing on mobile :roll_eyes:)

Yeah, we thought about that but then we could always run into the issue of one person getting a really high score and never playing again :see_no_evil: plus it’s harder to keep track of without insisting everyone keep the same name at all times… but! I am planning on analysing some of the quiz data next week and since the forums are going to be open (yay!), I’ll post anything interesting (including highest averages if I can parse all the names lmao) here.

4 Likes

Wow! Can’t wait for that! As a demographer, I’ve been always excited about surveys and debriefing! Thank youuuu!!!

Upd.: I started changing names on Day 6 and each of those names entered the podium except the last two rounds of the last day quiz. I was on the podium 8 times on 6 days. I had been wondering how the quiz organizers managed to keep track of all those creative monikers!

1 Like

@Johanna
Here’s the answer to your q in the FB Group. :wink:

1 Like

Yes that would have been me, I played two rounds only xD (I am Карлос)

1 Like

I think people probably would use the same name each time if they knew there was a good reason for doing so. If you did that for a future series of quizzes, I don’t think you should make even more work for yourselves trying to match up names. Instead, anyone who didn’t use the same name just wouldn’t get to count that score in their overall average/total.

Instead of averaging, another option would be to sum the best N scores for each player. If the timings were the same as they were last week, non-insomniacs in some time zones might have only been able to play a maximum of 4 times, so 3 might be a good value for N. That way, there would be no disincentive to carry on playing (if you played again, your overall score could only increase or stay the same) and the effects of one day’s quiz being easier than the others (which I have to admit helped me scrape onto the overall bronze list) would be smoothed out a bit.

That said, if it’s much easier to decide the overall winners the way you did it last week, don’t worry - I’m sure all of us who had fun doing the quizzes would love you to do some more and the last thing I’d want is to put you off doing that by making it even more hassle for you! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi, first of all, thank you for organizing this awesome quiz! I was wondering if you had or will ever post the answers to all of the quiz’s questions since day 1? All of questions were so interesting and would love to read up about them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi! I’ll ask Emily when she’s back at work next week and see if there’s a way to post the answers that isn’t immediately available to just anyone who searches for us (we use the quizzes - or at least a lot of the questions - for other events sometimes too and we have a few of them coming up in November!). Sadly we don’t have all of Nicolas’ additions :sweat_smile: but there’s still a bit of info here and there!

1 Like

Fun in the SUN open for business! Quiz starting in 8 min!!

@Astari2 If you played with the kahoot app on your phone you can access the questions and answers of the quizzes you attented (go to “my games” then “reports”), don’t know if it is the same with the website but if you registered you should be able to access it also.

1 Like