Jahmeela in Tanzania

Hello everyone
I am an ENFJ who wants to never stop learning! I enjoy reading, traveling and experiencing different cultures, good conversation with friends old and new and long walks (particularly on the beach :slight_smile: I was introduced to this community when I started researching language learning methods to efficiently learn my newest languages Tanzanian SIgn Language and Swahili. I’d previously learned several signed languages but this is the first time I am working with the goal of near-native fluency with a spoken language!! I am still on that journey to fluency. I look forward to the interchange during this conference!

8 Likes

@Jahmeela I love walking on the beach, too. I live in Rio de Janeiro. Hope to learn some African languages.

Can you please tell a bit more about the TZ sign language? Is it based on Swahili vocabulary?

3. Sign language is not connected with the local spoken language

SL has no connection with local spoken languages. It is, therefore, common to find different sign languages in countries that share a single spoken language, as well as regions or countries that have their own spoken language, but which share a SL with other places. Here are some examples:

English-speaking countries:

Spanish speaking countries/places:

Basque country:

A bit of a reference concerning sign language. Another example, I live in Tanzania which speaks Swahili, the neighboring countries of Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda all speak Swahili along with other recognized languages. Despite this fact, I do not readily understand Kenyan or Rwandan Sign Language. Each country has a distinct sign language of its’ own.

1 Like