Hyperpolyglot Techniques

When you begin to speak a lot of different languages, you are dealing with different grammar structures, different word orders, different vocabulary, different meanings and different nuances. When you reach a certain number of languages, the need of developing different techniques to properly switch between structures becomes fundamental.

One of my techniques is to memorize a given phrase in every language I know. When I have to speak, or to think, in another language, I say that phrase to myself in that language, and automatically triggers that cognitive mechanism to focus in that language.

In another post I commented about “juggling with the balls”: when you have a dozen of balls, one per language, and you have to pick a ball, and while you are speaking that language you have to make juggling with your remaining languages with the other hand. Well, this process explains a little bit better about this.

10 Likes

So I’m not the only one using this method! Glad to find someone who thinks like me. I find this method very useful especially for bridging the gap between languages with different grammar structures and word orders.

5 Likes

I’m very glad to find you, my friend! I’ll stay in touch with you.

1 Like

@hoopstats Yes, stay in touch! Are you attending the conference?

1 Like

This is so fascinating @hoopstats! I am by no means a polyglot much less a hyperpolyglot but I’m starting to get comfortable enough in a few languages that I’m beginning to get what you mean. The thing that I find triggers my brain to focus in on the language I’m speaking is to almost settle into playing a character (I’m also not an actor haha). This has become much more possible for me as I’ve learned more about “vocal posture” through videos like Langfocus or this interesting series on accents for acting (I’ll link both below).

It’s most evident for me with French-the way I have to hold my mouth and face to produce French sounds is totally distinct from English, and so eventually it gets to the point where I’m subconsciously thinking, “ah, but French-speaking Hank would not say this” :rofl: anyway thanks for sharing! Very illuminating.

2 Likes

Yes! Indeed, I’m a speaker!

This is a very interesting technique! I have always had problems with switching between languages: I will try it! Thank you!

1 Like