How do you assess your language level?

Une sorte d’évaluation des compétences en lecture, écoute, parole et écriture peut être nécessaire pour guider le processus d’auto-étude dans l’apprentissage des langues. Peut-être pouvons-nous commencer à collecter les outils disponibles sur Internet pour la communauté?

2 Likes

This work has been sent for publication, you can check the paper at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B84aT9j7Hdo3KxdSQU5WayX_RNsxC63O/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Love your language level descriptions. So true. When you can watch and understand movies without subtitles, you really have accomplished something in a language.

Also important to note is that your A1-C2 level can differ between the skills of listening, writing, reading, and speaking. I have not seen any guidance on which to use in this situation, but like you, I tend to be more conservative and underestimate.

4 Likes

If anybody is interested, I’m an ACTFL certified Russian and Ukrainian oral proficiency tester. Done over a hundred OPI interviews. If you want to know your level we can have a 20-30 min conversation online and I can tell you your level according to ACTFL scale. This would not count as an official rating, of course (I need recertification every 5 years and I’m past my next one) but I do know the rating methodology.

Nice. Unfortunately, my Russian is not very good currently :frowning_face:. But hopefully, I can at least be good enough to take the ACTFL or Test of Russian as a Foreign Language at some point in the future.

Thanks. For me, it’s all about speaking. I think the certifications measure all four skills. I don’t know if they adjust for understanding different accents. In Spanish, I’m fairly good with my understanding of Mexicans and non-native Spanish speakers. When I hear speakers from Spain and Argentina, I am mostly lost (but I’ve improved the last few weeks by listening to a lot of youtubers from Spain and Argentina, so there’s hope for me). I still can’t understand La Casa de Papel without subtitles.

2 Likes

That was really helpful, thanks! Looking at the self assessment chart made it easier for me to accept I’m mostly a B1 in Irish, especially after tonight’s conversation in my Iocal class. :slight_smile: