Hola, Ray from Mexico here

Hello there! After spending 30 years as a researcher in Artificial Intelligence, and learning Engish by very small increments (and decrements as well) for 40 years, I’m now applying AI for language learning in my Avalinguo startup, so other folks don’t have as hard times as I did for learning a new language… I also learned French the hard way, and Spanish is my native language, as I’m from beautiful Mexico.

4 Likes

Hi fellow academic. I am Marc and researcher in AI and multimedia/social media contents in Japan. I’m native German but am living here since 2013 (with some breaks). I love to think about influence of language and culture in social media contents, and try to incorporate that into my research.
Through my job and life I’m fluent in Japanese/English/German. I’ve also grown an interest in Esperanto and romance languages.

Languages (N): German
Languages (C-level): English, Japanese
Languages (B-level): Esperanto
Languages (A-level): French
Languages (Interested): Spanish, Portuguese, Russian

4 Likes

Hi Marc, that’s impressive! For the AI part, what have you worked on?
I have recently worked about AI as applied to language learning, for instance my graduate students have made evaluation systems for pronunciation and fluency using Machine Learning; I have the paper in case you are interested. I retired from the university in order to work on my language learning startup.
BTW one of my brothers is fluent in German because he worked at VW for years.
Hope to meet you!