Hi, I'm Eleanor from Connecticut, USA

I am looking forward to the Polyglot Conference! I attended LangFest in Montreal last summer, and I had so much fun attending the presentations and meeting fellow language enthusiasts!

I am an ESL Teacher and an aspiring Spanish to English translator. I studied French in high school, so my skills are a bit rusty. I am Italian on my Dad’s side, but alas, as he was American-born, I never learned the language. However, I am Scottish on my mother’s side, and I am proud to say I have a wee bit of Glaswegian Scots.

I also enjoy performing Broadway productions with community theater, and I am working on a few Italian Art Songs with my voice teacher. I am a firm believer in learning language through music.

5 Likes

Hi Eleanor from CT! I’m Sadelle from VT. I love that you speak a wee bit of Glaswegian Scots… I still remember being on a bus in Scotland and not understanding the Glaswegian driver, although Glasgow still remains one of my favorite cities in Scotland.

I agree about learning language through music… it was Irish songs that prompted me to want to learn Irish (my current language I’m working on), and it was attending folk festivals in Québec that prompted me to get a bit of French under my belt, mostly to get a grip on the grammar a little bit so I could ‘glue’ some of the words I picked up here and there together. Only took 1 semester of it though.

Nice to meet you!

1 Like

Music gives rythm, so sounds great with language pronounciation prosody (tone of voice). Your approach talks to me. I’m canadian psychologist (Quebec province) and always consider that including emotional stimulation and body expression adds a lot to any learning process. My native language is French and I’m starting learning German…

2 Likes

Hey Eleanor, happy you are attending the conference! Didn’t know you were Scottish. Do you still have family there?

Hi Esther,
I’m so happy to see you here at the conference!!! I wonder if Allison and IIlcias are attending. I enjoyed spending time with you guys in Montreal.
Yes, I am a very proud Scot, thanks to my “mum”. My mother had 10 siblings, so we used to have many aunts and uncles in Scotland and the US. Sadly, they’ve all passed, but I have many cousins. Mom used to take us
on vacation to her homeland. Such a beautiful country with friendly people! I’m longing for a visit, once it’s safe to do so!
Let’s keep in touch!
Eleanor

1 Like