Hi, I'm Adriana and new to the community!

Hello,

My name is Adriana. I am from Canada but I now live in London, UK! And I’ve been living here for nearly 9 years now. I work as an animator for a videogame company. Some of the hobbies I enjoy on my spare time include drawing and languages.

To be honest, I feel a bit out of place here because I am only fluent in my native tongue (English); but I enjoy language-learning and making new friends so I thought I would join. I only got into languages a few years ago around age 27/28. Has anyone else here ever successfully learned their second language after the age of 30? (Not that it really matters, I guess, but I’m super curious as most language learners usually already have their L2 before this age and I’d love to know if anyone else is in a similar boat to me.) :slight_smile:

The language that I am currently focusing on is Cantonese-Chinese (of which I am also learning how to write.) I don’t know what level I am at right now, but I’d class myself as maybe… an upper beginner? I can hold a very basic conversation comfortably, and I know a few hundred characters.

I’ve also been studying Japanese and would say that I’m at an upper N4 level.

If you want to connect with me, feel free to send me a message on Instagram at @puccarts

Looking forward to talking with you all and sharing our love of languages!

5 Likes

Nice to meet you. I only recently began learning my languages in earnest at the age of 35. I had taken Spanish in high school and that was about it. I am currently pursuing fluency in Spanish, German and Romanian. I also have what I call my “hobby languages”, which are Japanese, Latin and Sanskrit.
I greatly enjoy all of the discoveries one can make in learning new languages. I am also new to the community here, but, golly, are they ever nice.

2 Likes

Hey Adriana! Lovely to e-meet you.

I’m 36 and about 2.5 years into my Persian journey, so age is somewhat irrelevant in my opinion.

If anything, you’ve got more drive and focus because you’re studying it out of love, curiosity, passion etc, more so than at school. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Japanese when I studied it at school too, all the way to university as my Major (but didn’t finish).

3 Likes

hi adriana, welcome as long as you enjoy learning languages you belong to us :slight_smile: i’m Zaiht, from mexico i hope you to visit cholula next year i’m sure you’ll love my country

1 Like

I’m so glad that you are learning my native language (Cantonese)!

1 Like

Hi Tiffany! Lovely to meet you! :slight_smile: And that’s awesome; the community does seem very nice! Those sound like really fun languages :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Candace! That’s really true! I was just super curious to how many in this community have a similar journey to me :slight_smile: It’s also really lovely to meet you, too :slight_smile: Persian sounds awesome! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Zaiht! Lovely to meet you too! :smiley: I’ve been to Mexico before and it’s such a beautiful country full of rich culture :smiley: I actually had a chance when I was very young to visit the Mayan Ruins of Chichen Itza before they closed it off to the public… it was amazing and I remember it vividly! :slight_smile: Hope you’re having fun on your language learning journey!

1 Like

Hi Henry! 你好!Thanks so much for your comment- it’s nice to meet you :slight_smile:
中國嘅文化係好趣!我好鍾意粵語!我都鍾意首粵話歌!Songs are great! It’s a very fun and colourful language! I’ve made too many hilarious mistakes in my journey so far; XD… great for telling stories, hehe!

thanks, lovely to meet you too, it’s nice that you had that chance to visit “chichen itza” i couoldn’t do that, the only mayan ruins in there i went are “palenque” and they’re awesome, but smaller

1 Like

Maybe I can try and organize a Cantonese Language room at the Conference.

Hi, Adriana!

You’re definitely not alone! I’m new to the community as well and a whopping 40 years old. :sweat_smile:

I took Spanish in middle and high school and remember being good at tests but terrible at conversations. And I’ve been beating my head against Japanese text books for years while living in Japan to no avail. I’ve only this year discovered the polyglot community and the plethora of advice and methods they recommend, and I’m excited again to tackle language learning from a new angle.

We’ve got several language practice threads going on in these forums. I’m always happy to see new faces in the Japanese thread: 日本語を勉強しましょう :relaxed:

Nice to meet you!

4 Likes

That would be really cool, Henry! :smiley: I’d love to join in!