Hello from South Korea

Hi everyone!
My name is Ekaterina. I’m originally from Russia, but currently live in Korea. I teach Russian in a high school in a small port town. I speak Russian as my native language and I also can speak Korean and English. I used to speak Japanese pretty well, but I’ve lost my skills :sweat_smile: Also I’ve recently started learning Slovak and Spanish.

Besides languages, I’m interested in travelling and cooking. Love animals (volunteering in an animal shelter) and nature.

Always wanted to join this conference! I look forward to connecting with others!

Cheers,
Ekaterina

12 Likes

Здравствуйте Екатерина, Я из Марокко, живу в Украине.
Мне очень приятно с вами, познакомится!

2 Likes

Добрый день. Интересно, что вы преподаете русский в старшей школе в Корее. Это второй иностранный язык, да? Много учеников, выбирающих русский?

2 Likes

Здравствуйте!
Взаимно! Мне тоже очень приятно с вами познакомиться. Как можно к вам обращаться?

1 Like

Добрый!
Да, это второй иностраный язык. Они могут выбрать или японский, или русский язык. Русский выбирают мало :sweat_smile: Меньше половины!

1 Like

That’s very interesting. I didn’t know that they teach Russian in a Korean high school.
Would like to learn Russian one day, perhaps after mastering my Korean.

1 Like

They have Russian as a second foreign language, but not in every school and kids don’t really want to learn difficult languages :joy: :sweat_smile: so usually they take Japanese.
How is your korean study going? Do you enjoy the language?

1 Like

I just started few months back because I got sick and tired of watching K-drama with the subtitles on :slight_smile:

Still a long way to go before fluency. As for Russian, I find the pronunciation and the sound fo the language so interesting. Even a simple conversation in Russian can sound as though we are doing something dangerous. haha

2 Likes

That’s so truuuue :joy: Koreans often ask me why I’m arguing with my friend, when we talk in Russian :sweat_smile: That’s just the sound of the language!

Oh, I can totally understand. When I watch something with the subtitles on, it distracts me from watching :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Any tips to learn Korean fast ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fast? Hmmm… It’s been 10 years since I stared but there are still a lot of things to learn :sweat_smile: I guess learning lots of words is a good way to start. So you can say many simple sentences and express yourself.

4 Likes

Привет! 안녕하세요! Gusto en conocerte aaand welcome to the Polyglot Conference, it’s my first time as well :grin:, I used to read about it or watch some youtube videos where it was mentioned, it seemed like a cool place to be. If it hadn’t been online this year, I woudn’t have been able to attend, but someday I will in person. Enjoy your stay, Ekaterina!

1 Like

Вы можете обрашаться ко мне как Абделлах, как у меня написанно на украинском в документе. Можете обратиться ко мне как Абделка или Абдел тоже.

Привет!
Thank you for your warm welcome :cherry_blossom:
It was the same for me as well!! I’ve been watching some youtube videos for awhile now. Always wanted to join and meet all the awesome people. Such a nice place!
Attending the Conference is one of my goals! I hope we can join and meet in person one day!

1 Like

Абделка!! Как приятно у вас звучит имя!! Мне очень нравится!
Кстати, я читала вашу историю, очень интересная! Вы давно живете в Украине?

1 Like

Спасибо, это моя жена которая мне дала такой имя Абделка.
ну я живу тут от 21 декабря 2012 году.
Это почти 8 лет. Так время летает быстро

1 Like

Здравствуйте 안녕하세요 Hello Ekaterina! It’s a pleasure to meet you :blush:

2 Likes

У Вашей жены очень хорошо получилось с именем!
Вау, 8 лет! Время действительно пролетело очень быстро.
Я в Корее уже живу 5 лет, но кажется, что только вчера приехала :sweat_smile:
Вам там нравится? Не хочется переехать в другое место?

Здравствуйте!
Nice to meet you too!
Thank you for your warm welcome!

Да, тут мне нравится, пока не собираюсь ехать никуда.