Has anyone tried the 15-30-15 language learning method before?

I’m looking up on new language learning methods recently as I’m currently learning 2 new languages, Thai and Swahili. I came across a YouTube video by Alex Rawlings on the “15-30-15” method and I actually find it quite interesting. Basically, it’s breaking up your language study sessions in a day into 15 mins of review in the morning, 30 mins of studying in the noon and another 15 mins of review at night. I wanna give it a shot but was wondering if anyone else has tried this method before and how was the effect. Has anyone tried this method before?

14 Likes

I’ve never heard of this method, but it sounds like a lovely idea. Let us know how it goes for you. I may even give it a try.

1 Like

I try to listen to Spanish first thing in the morning for 15-30 minutes, casually without making an effort to take notes. But when I listen at night for another 15-30 minutes, I’m a much more attentive, and will write words down in my vocab list.

My thinking is that if I put so much pressure on myself to do a complete hour at night, then I’m less likely to enjoy it, and more likely to skip it entirely. But if I plan on short spurts, I often listen in excess of my planned time.

I don’t know if it affects the amount or efficiency of learning. In terms of sticking to a process, I know I am very consistent.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying a few days and it seems pretty good! Learnt a few grammar structures and increased my vocabulary bank quite a bit. Reviewing twice helps me to remember and put in use the words and grammar rules I’ve learnt. Will continue trying and see how it goes!

6 Likes

Hi, @Jinyoung. Neither have I, but I must give it a try. Is it similar to ‘The Golden List’?

I need to get a method, because reallyI haven’t used one.

Thanks for this.

Regards.

Hi @Alberto. You can give it a try. Even though I’ve only been using this method for 2 weeks, I can see significant improvement in my Swahili and Norwegian, so it’s worth giving it a try!

I’ve never heard of ‘The Golden List’, will check it out when I have the time.

Cheers

4 Likes

I have tried it and it works really well! It forces you to think about different grammatical structures and especially vocabulary during the whole day. And I found evening repetitions particularly useful, you can remember way more the next day if you read through your notes in the evening. I try to go to bed every night with a vocabulary list :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for introducing the method.
I will definitely try it out for my Japanese whereby I am tackling more intermediate level of grammar. Will be easier to see if I can see an improvement or not.

Certainly spaced learning results in better consolidation, and sleep does some of that job. The numbers are probably not too precise, but this schedule is certainly worth trying.