Grüezi mitenand from Bianca, quarantining in Zurich

Hi fellow polyglots! My name is Bianca, I live in Zurich, was raised in the Swiss Riviera and born in Australia. I just got the news I have to quarantine for the next week, so perfect timing for the Polyglot Conference!

You might know me from the Polyglot Conference in Ljubljana in 2018, the Edinburgh Language Event 2020, or the Polyglot Gathering Online 2020.

Happy to meet some Montrealese polyglots, as I will be moving there soon, to discuss the cultural and linguistic foibles of Swiss German vs. Swiss French, or just to share experiences of language learning.

4 Likes

Bienvenue à bord :slight_smile:
Ho what happened to you so that you have to quarantine :open_mouth: ?

Sympa de te voir ici Valentin! Edimbourg me paraît un autre monde vu l’année qu’on a eue…
Mon père, qui j’ai vu le week-end passé, a testé positif. J’ai pas de symptômes mais je dois rester en quarantaine de toute façon et j’attends mes résultats avec impatience…

2 Likes

Je me suis dit la même chose: y’a à peine 7 mois on pouvait bouger encore librement et maintenant le monde entier fonctionne en ligne et on doit livre avec beaucoup de restrictions … :sweat_smile:

Ho! :open_mouth: J’espère que les conséquences ne sont pas très sévères… ton père se porte bien j’espère?

Gruezi Bianca. I used to work about 30 minutes west of Zurich in a town called Lenzburg for a few months. I got so used to the Swiss accent that when I went into Germany, I wanted to say, “I don’t understand you. Are you sure you’re speaking German?”

Tschuss.

Oui, il est très fatigué mais pas de symptômes graves au moins, il s’améliore de jour à jour.
En Suisse on a beaucoup moins de restrictions qu’aux Pay-Bas ou en France, mais le débat quant à de nouvelles restrictions est vif en ce moment.

Ah I can definitely relate! I find it depends by region, for example the Black Forest dialect feels close to Swiss German, whereas Northern German can come off as overly brusque to me. I find the biggest pitfall is with vocabulary - I have to catch myself to avoid ordering a Stange, Panache, Poulet or Glacé when in Germany…

I still want to say “Gruezi” to German speakers with the Swiss drawl. I completely forget “Hallo” is a German word.

Were you able to master “koche kashli” or “bircher mueslix” (however it is spelled)?

Yes I can make a fine Birchermüesli.
In Swiss German it’s important to differentiate “Müesli” and “Müsli” (small mouse)!

2 Likes

Hoi Sylvia, super dass es mehreri Schwiizeri hier git! Wo wohnsch denn du? Rumantsch z lerne muess nid äifach aber mega interessant sii - wo findisch du Material defür überhaupt??

Bon tant mieux, je suis content pour lui :crossed_fingers: J’espère que ça ira en s’améliorant.
Je connais pas vraiment la situation de la Suisse, mais j’imagine que l’organisation politique du pays (confédération) fait que ce genre de mesure est plus difficile à prendre :thinking: J’ai l’impression que les mesures sont tombées d’un coup d’un seul cette semaine - en France et aux Pays-Bas :sweat_smile:

Sinon, belle performance :+1: en russe

1 Like

Oh jetzt hani Tatsächlich au na Schwizer gfunde! Freut mi! Ich bin d Deborah und chume au uus Züri (also Kanton nöd Sadt) viel Erfolg i dinere Quarantäne! Aber wie du gseit hesch bisch ja bestens usgrüsted mit dere Konferenz :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bianca,
A pleasure to meet you here. I just began learning French, wonder how different is Swiss French as compared to that of standard Parisian French ?

Bon chance pour la quarantine!

Cheers,
Ivan

1 Like