வணக்கம் from Chennai, India

Hello, I am azeera from Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. My native language is Tamil. I am currently learning Thai, Spanish, Russian, Korean, Telugu, Malayalam, Swahili, Welsh…I request people to share their resources to learn the language. That would helpful.

6 Likes

For learning Russian alphabet I found pretty helpful Memrise and now I’m currently using Rosseta Stone for vocabulary :wink:

2 Likes

I am learning Russian through Real Russian club YouTube channel, podcasts, series and movies. I am self taught. I was just wondering, how are you learning nahutl? What are the resources? Even I was trying to learn Breton, Tamazight and Welsh. I love learning these kinda languages which are not recognized by many…But for even Welsh, I find it very hard to find resources. Give me your ideas : ) I wanna learn Spanish with you…

Hi, Azeera, nice to meet you! I am also learning some Telugu, but have found very few resources. The best ones for me so far have been Mango, and a book called Spoken Telugu for Absolute Beginners by Sanjay D. Have you found Telugu resources that you like?

1 Like

That’s great !!! Learn basic vocabulary and phrases, practice simple sentences…The best way to learn Telugu is watching serials because in serials the language is slow and intelligible and also you can understand the culture clearly…You can also watch movies and songs…That will be easy if you have Netflix and hotstar. You can either watch Telugu big boss reality show in Hotsar or watch Ala vaikuntha purramuloo movie in Netflix with subtitles…That will be your new start…Watching movies with subtitles is a gud way…You can also watch YouTube videos in Telugu…All the best :+1: feel free to ask me :smiley:

1 Like

வணக்கம், I’m a native Russian speaker with a degree in Swahili. Last year I learnt reading and writing Tamil and I’m planning to learn speaking. I have lots of good resources, all I need is free time and more friends.

2 Likes

Hi Azeera, I’m learning Russian, and my favorite resource is Russian with Max (www.russianwithmax.com). I also like www.russianpodcast.eu with Tatiana Klimova, and Russian with Anastasia on YouTube. What I like about all 3 is that they do everything in Russian, so you’re completely immersed in the language. Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Wow! Super! வணக்கம் :smiley: That’s a great thing. You are learning cool languages. Even I am learning Swahili and Russian. Feel free to ask me if you need any help with resources and practice. Can you share me the resources to learn Wolof and Buryat? How did you get interested in learning Tamil?

Oh Thank you :wink: And I am learning Russian through Real Russian club YouTube channel, duolingo and some videos and movies. Thanks for your help!! What are the resources for you to learn Ojibwe and Catalan? Ask me if you need any help with the Indian languages and resources.

Hello Azeera! I learnt Wolof from friends and books I bought in France, there are no good sources online for now but there are numerous links which you may find useful: https://wolofresources.org/language/resources.htm As for Buryat, most sources are of course in Russian, there’s a slow revival of this language and the best source is https://nom.buryat-lang.ru/

Now to the தமிழ். My first introduction to Tamil was in 2011 when I made Malaysian Tamil friends and visited Singapore in 2012. Now in Montreal since 2014 I regularly buy Indian snacks and spices in Tamil stores so it’s helpful to read all the food names. Then in 2018 I had a one-year challenge of learning 5 scripts, so I picked up Arabic, Hindi, Tamil, Japanese kanas, and Korean hangul. It took me just a couple of weeks to learn the Tamil script in February 2019 but I fell in love with it, even my native Cyrillic moved to the 2nd spot. I recently watched the Tamizhi documentary by Hiphop Tamizha about the history of the language. I have friends all around Tamil Nadu who help me with learning whenever we have free time.

2 Likes

I’m actually surprised you know Hindi because I don’t think most Tamils learn Hindi unless you’re really interested in it personally. How old were you when you learnt Hindi, where, and do you get to use it often in Chennai?

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, I just added Ala vaikuntha purramuloo to my watchlist! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Namaskar—fellow Tamilian (American) polyglot here, so excited that you are learning so many languages! I think there may be a Goethe institute and an Academie Française in Chennai—one of my friends had to spend some time there after she left to graduate program, and I know she was taking classes at one of those two.

3 Likes

I am stunned!!! Thanks for the resources, that’s really helpful and I can also read Cyrillic script thank you :wink::wink: I am gonna start learning Buryat :+1: I am speechless about your interest in Tamil script and language :+1: :+1: I learnt Hindi through tution. I improved it by watching movies and aerials. Here in Chennai, there are some Hindi people so, I practiced with them. I am surprised of your knowledge about the Tamil people won’t learn Hindi. That’s great. You are merging with us :+1: :smiley: nicely. Not only Tamil people, there are a lots of languages in different states, even those people don’t wanna learn Hindi. Hindi is not the national language of India it is just one of the 22 official language of India and most spoken language of India. The government is imposing Hindi on us, that’s why we are protesting against this by not learning Hindi. Many people like telugu people, kannada people, etc are protesting against this… :slight_smile: you are a great learner.

2 Likes

வணக்கம். Thank you for your help :+1:. How are you? Which part of Tamilnadu are you from? What’s your interest? It’s good to see another Tamilian here. Here in India most of the people are not interested in learning languages, I am very glad looking at you :smiley:

Is it the same Sanjay Dhanasekaran who lives in Germany and also teaches Tamil?

@Lim That’s a good question, I’m not sure. In the “About the Author” paragraph, it does say that he has taught more than one south Indian language to foreigners before. It doesn’t mention Germany specifically.

Sanjay D

Hi! With a name like Srinivasan I’m sure you guessed I am of Tamil origin! Unfortunately I don’t have resources I used to recommend as I studied languages in universities mostly, but I think the Goethe Institut in Chennai would be fantastic if you want to do German. Also, the Alliance Francaise there if you want to do French!

1 Like