Are the stative / untransitive verbs common in every language?

About stative verbs and the distinction between using “to be” (ser/estar) vs “to have” (tener/haber) in several languages, where stative verbs conjugate in compound tenses with “to be” plus participle.
My question is: stative verbs are the same as intransitive verbs, or not exactly the same?
By the way, do you guys have a stative verbs list in any language? I ask myself (I wonder myself) if the stative verbs (those who, for example, in French, Italian, German and Dutch you have to use to be, être, essere, sein, zijn etc) are the same among those languages.

1 Like

In Welsh, Gaelic and Cornish, they have 2 forms of the verb “to be”. Some teachers tell us to think of it as ser/estar for those of us who know Spanish but it’s not 100% the same.

2 Likes

I am very interested in these kind of topics regarding linguistics: I am not very familiarised with ‘stative verbs’. Could you please tell me a bit about what they are? Are you referring to the fact of, as in Spanish, having to different concepts of ‘to be’ —as in ‘ser’ and ‘estar’?

I will be happy to keep learning about this.

Thank you.

Regards.

1 Like

@alberto When you say in Spanish yo he entendido (I have understood) this is a transitive verb, because you understand something. This something is a direct object. But, when you say yo he venido in Spanish (I have come, in English) you are not requiring a direct object. This is called an intransitive verb.
In several Romance languagde like French and Italian, or in several Germanic languages like German and Dutch, the intransitive verbs require to be (être, essere, sein) + participle for compound tenses regardless the voice (active or passive): je suis allé, io sono venuto.

Not the same. There are stative verbs that are transitive and there are non-stative verbs (= dynamic verbs) that are intransitive. In a rough definition “intransitive verbs” are just such verbs that don’t require direct objects. They are not necessarily stative. Stative verbs are such verbs that describe a state. They are not necessarily intransitive, either.

For example, the verb “sneeze” is intransitive, but not stative. The verb “know” is stative, but not intransitive.

3 Likes