Who grew up bilingual?

Hi Heather!

I would say yes. Because actually, due to historical reasons (Franco…) Basque was prohibited and people weren’t able to learn and to use it (However, some people used it illegally).
And the fact that nowadays it is reviving it is amazing and very important since it is an old, rare and unique language.

3 Likes

I remember a funny situation about that. I’m from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and in August-September 2013 I spent a month in Spain as a tourist, mostly in Catalunya. I was one night at El Prat airport waiting for the shuttle bus. Then, a 20-something years old girl steps up closer to me and asked me:

• Do you speak English?
  • Yeah. Where are you from?
  • Italy.
    I immediately switched to Italian.
  • Da dove siete voi? (talking to her and other girl who cames with her).
  • Bolzano.
  • Aaaaah, mi rendo conto. Voi state parlando con la tua amica in tedesco.

That’s why is so important ther multilingual education… Because the knowledge of languages and the knoledge of other cultures is priceless!
A big hug!
Matias

3 Likes

Hi Matias. Unfortunately, not even all Italians know that there is a province in Italy where the majority are German native speakers. They do, if they have visited the area as tourists, have been hiking in its beautiful mountains or have had some mulled wine at a stall at the “mercatini di natale” (which are not going to be held for Covid-reasons this year).
Many Italians are not informed about South Tyrol and ask:“Ma voi, vi sentite più tedeschi o italiani?” As the situation is complex, the answer is not straightforward. In South Tyrol we even have a different ID card. As citizens of an autonomous region, ours is green, while for other Italian regions it is brown. Staff at airports abroad therefore have to check twice :slight_smile:

I agree with you. The knowledge of a language must always go hand in hand with the knowledge of the culture where these languages are spoken. Being a polyglot makes you sensitive to such issues.
I liked your presentation of Hypia. I always wanted to know more about it. Thanks for your valuable explanations.
Kind regards,
Claudia

2 Likes

wow you are a basque speaker who doesn’t use it! I hope that the language comes back

I grew up speaking English and Tamil (I was born in the United States to South Indian immigrant parents). Growing up we spoke a mixture of English and Tamil, probably more of the latter when I was younger and then more English as I’ve gotten older. I only grew up speaking it with my parents, as I was very much a minority in a small town in the midwest. Given that English was so dominant for me and that I was a very early reader and also wrote a lot of stories growing up, I always considered that to be my main language. It wasn’t until I got to college (university) that I realized it was kind of strange to be in an English-speaking environment 24-7.

I can understand everything, and though I speak it fluently, I do make mistakes and people immediately know it’s not my dominant language. When I visit India, I make it a point to speak only in Tamil. Tamil exhibits diglossia, which means that there are two distinct forms of the language. I can only speak and understand the colloquial form, but not the formal form. So that means I cannot understand news broadcasts, announcements on airlines, etc. When my parents didn’t want me to understand something, they would speak to each other in the formal form! This means that I also cannot understand things when I read Tamil. I know the characters and can sound things out, but I don’t understand what it means. I can write things down phonetically, as I know the script.

There are certain things for which I just HAVE to speak in Tamil, because it’s so much more expressive. Like whenever I see cats – I just start talking to them and Tamil and they seem to really respond well to that!

5 Likes

Hmmm… I never knew cats spoke Tamil. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I always thought they generally spoke Meow. Here in my area, they are particularly keen on speaking a dialectical variation - I believe it’s called Purr. But then again, it’s 2020 - nothing surprises me anymore.

(Please, note I wrote cat languages capitalizing the first letter appropriately. We don’t want to talk about the facts, using incorrect grammar.:heart:)

1 Like

Bilingual English and Spanish. Im pretty fluent in both my sister is also fluent but she strongly prefers English. we have a tendency to use a lot of spanglish and terms that are define on the spot or from our experience growing up in the US and Ecuador

3 Likes

Sonja, that is really interesting. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I find languages with such distinct formal and casual forms to be fascinating.

1 Like

Hahaha! Good one, Zeina!

1 Like

It’s so nice to feel like my experience is appreciated, Heather! Thank you.

1 Like

I grew up bilingual/trilingual. In Taiwan, young people speak Mandarin and a few might also speak Taiwanese/Haka/one of then 15+ aboriginal languages. I am lucky because I grew up with my nanny with speaks mainly Taiwanese, so I can pass on the language/culture. I went to an international school, so there was a lot of Europeans, as well as locals. The common language was English and the classes were all taught in English. At 19, I went to Japan and did a year of exchange, where I actively surrounded myself with only Japanese speakers, and eventually reached close to native fluency. Fast forward to now, I am 29, I added French (high B2~C1) and some Germany (A2) to my repertoire since.

6 Likes

I grow up Bilingual as many here.
I have been speaking both French and Arabic as my native languages.
Although, I have to admit that for at least for the last 8 years I have being using them less and less on daily basis in favor of Russian and English.
Nevertheless, I still speak both of the first mentioned languages when ever it’s necessary, just keep in touch with my root.

3 Likes

Wow, what a rich upbringing. So wondeful that you’ve actively worked on learning even more languages to such a high level. Très impressionnant :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Abdellah. It’s funny how our language use can change so much over our lives.
As-tu lu “Nord perdu” par Nancy Huston ? Elle est canadienne anglophone mais elle vit en France depuis des années. Elle parle de beaucoup d’aspects de la vie d’immigrant et surtout de la langue. J’ai lu à l’université et je l’ai recommencé récemment.

1 Like

J’ai jamais lu ce livre, en revanche, j’avais lu un passage du roman épistolaire “Lettre parisienne” par Nancy Huston et Leїla Sebbar lorsque j’étais au collége, en cinquième. Tu m’as donné envie d’acheter le livre et le lire en entier. C’est curieux de ma part que je me souvienne de ce livre bien que je l’avais lu, il y a de cela au moins une décennie.

1 Like

C’est bizarre les choses qui restent en tête, même après des années.

3 Likes