Rare, Low-population, & Dead Languages: Why Learn Them?

I’m considering learning Louisiana Creole to help preserve it, because it’s one of my heritage languages, but there are so few people left who speak it.

3 Likes

Oh that is great, thank you! I’ll send you an email later :slight_smile:

1 Like

As someone from relatively far north in Scotland I am very interested in properly learning Scottish Gaelic, I feel almost like i morally should fight for its survival, but the lack of material for input makes me hesitate.

Currently my plan is to get comfortable in my 2nd foreign language at which point I’m hoping my “language learning muscle” will be fit enough to make best use of the Gaelic content I can find.

This of course is kind of a lame excuse as I could quite easily drive up to find some native speakers…
Weirdly, I find the idea, of speaking to other Scottish people, more daunting than I did with Germans, back when I started german…

3 Likes

@Fitzy Have you connected with any of the Scottish Gaelic Facebook groups? There seem to be a few of them poking around and I suspect they could help with more input resources. Also what’s the status of BBC Alba these days? There’s been some chat in the #Celtic thread here last week from a couple of Gàidhlig learners.

I’ve been learning Irish for the past 3 yrs, slowly but steadily, after not using any of my other acquired languages for over 35 yrs. I’m always amazed at how big the Irish learning community is worldwide.

1 Like

I am quietly in the background of all the Gàidhlig Facebook groups at the moment, yeah :slight_smile:
Essentially, just now, I am slowly gathering materials as an excuse to get my gran off my back about It :stuck_out_tongue:

BBC alba seems to be going strong, despite the lukewarm mainstream bbc support and funding. However I would need a TV License to watch it which I don’t currently have.
Though I still watch “Speaking Our Language” constantly because I’ve had a huge crush on Rhoda MacDonald since I was a kid xD haha

Currently, plan is to solidify my french and then stop making excuses and dive into Gaelic properly.
I shall check out the Celtic thread, thanks!

I definitely admire the Irish and welsh indigenous language communities And would love to learn Irish once I feel comfortable in Scottish Gaelic. Especially considering how similar they can be.

3 Likes

oh, so even in the Uk you need to purchase a BBC license? I wish the BBC would make even purchased licenses available outside of the country. I am always frustrated with the bbc northern ireland site as I can’t watch most of the content. Thank goodness at least for TG4 in Ireland.
Yes, I’ve watched “Speaking our Language” - fun series. It is interesting to see some of the commonalities with Irish, ane especially with the Ulster Irish dialect. By the way, where in northern Scotland are you? I spent some time on Skye and in Inverness and Aberdeen.

3 Likes

A few of us here are working with rare and endangered languages. @Brennon is involved with Wukchumni and a few other languages from California. I’ve been learning Warlpiri and Navajo for a while now, but am helping out with a sleeping language from Southeast Australia.

3 Likes

Yes! Reclaiming heritage languages is such a wonderful experience - my mom and I are currently taking Welsh classes together right now :slight_smile:

The past 5-10 years there’s been a blossoming Louisiana Creole movement, with many people around our age wanting to reclaim their heritage. Have you by chance spoken with (or heard of) Michael Gisclair? He’s a Kouri-Vini language activist who could probably help you get started! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Learngaelic.net is a good starting point, as is Gàidhlig Gu Leòr on YouTube - if you hadn’t come across it yet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of him, but I know some people are fighting to preserve it. It’s just hard to make the decision to learn it, because I have no idea who’d I’d use it with.

If you’re interested, we can email Michael and see if he’s open to us putting you both in contact. There is a growing movement online though, with a lot of people open to using it together:
Duolingo commenters, Facebook page with resources, Cambridge University often does webinars in Kouri-Vini or about Kouri-Vini, and so on.

2 Likes

This is an invite for all in the group for a presentation for tomorrow.

Brennon Ramsey will be having a talk/dicussion on North American Indigenous People/Languages (Language Families, History, etc.).

Time: Tuesday 3rd at 11am New York / 3pm London / 4pm Paris / 11pm Singapore
Room: Zaloa Room (under Earth Exchange)

2 Likes

I have a few friends online who speak it. One of them, Christophe, runs Kouri-vini Louisiana Creole Fanpage on Facebook. I speak Mauritian Creole which is also based on French.

1 Like

Hi @MultilingualBronxite Miguel,

Disculpa, ¿en qué parte de la página debo dar click o entrar para poder acceder a estas sesiones? Por trabajo me he dedicado a escribir solamente :sweat_smile:, tanto que no he podido participar en sesiones.

Thanks for sharing y te mando un cálido saludo. Buenas noches.

Tienes acceso al Live Environment, Aaron?

Siendo honesto ni estoy familiarizado.
Ya busqué en esta página o en mi correo pero tampoco hay nada al respecto. ¿cómo puedo entrar a una sala disculpa?

Para entrar al Live Environment, hay que registrarse. En la pagina principal de la Conferencia, puedes registrarte usando el enlace de Eventbrite que esta en la parte de abajo de esa pagina de login del Live Environment.

Despues recibiras el email donde puedes crear tu cuenta en el Live Environment, y despues, puedes hacer login, o usar el boton grande negro de Back que esta arriba en la izquierda para tener acceso a la pagina.

Hey, gracias Miguel ya pude entrar.

Greetings

1 Like

City Lit and also the British Library